New Delhi: Virtually admitting that Chinese herdsmen had entered the Indian territory in Ladakh last week, Government today said the men withdrew from the position after a flag meeting between armies of the two countries.
“The Chinese went back after the flag meeting,” Home Minister Rajnath Singh told reporters here when asked about the reported incursion last week.
The incident is reported to have taken place on July 25 at the Charding Nilu Nullah Junction in the Demchok sector along the Line of Actual Control in Jammu and Kashmir.
An Indian patrolling team was dispatched to the spot and later a team of China's People's Liberation Army also reached there.
The reports suggested that a flag meeting between the commanders from both sides finally resulted in the Chinese agreeing to move back the herdsmen a day after.
Last fortnight, Chinese troops reportedly made two incursion attempts in Demchok and Chumar areas of Ladakh sector in Jammu and Kashmir but were pushed back into their territory by Indian security personnel.
The two incursion bids by the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) came even as Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping emphasised on the need to find a solution to the boundary question during their meeting in Fortaleza in Brazil on the sidelines of the BRICS summit.
The latest incident occurred in Charding Nilu Nullah Junction (CNNJ) in Demchok sector when PLA personnel entered the area on their vehicles claiming it to be Chinese territory.
The PLA soldiers who wanted to have a round of the area were stopped by the Indian army and personnel of Indo Tibetan Border Police(ITBP).
After a 30-minute long stand-off followed by a banner drill where armies of both the countries warned each other against moving a step forward, the Chinese PLA returned to their side, the sources said.