ye-public-hai-sab-jaanti-hai
  1. You Are At:
  2. English News
  3. India
  4. Coronavirus: Air India to suspend Hong Kong flights from Friday

Coronavirus: Air India to suspend Hong Kong flights from Friday

Indian carriers have now cancelled all their flights to China, in wake of the coronavirus epidemic. Air India’s Delhi-Hong Kong was the only flight after it earlier suspended the Shanghai route.

India TV News Desk Edited by: India TV News Desk
New Delhi Updated on: February 04, 2020 13:57 IST
Coronavirus: Air India to suspended Hong Kong flights from Friday

Coronavirus: Air India to suspended Hong Kong flights from Friday

In view of Coronavirus outbreak, Air India is suspending its flights to Hong Kong after flying AI314 on the 7th February 2020. Air India’s Delhi-Hong Kong was the only flight after it earlier suspended the Shanghai route. IndiGo, the only other Indian carrier that flies to China, had earlier suspended flights to the country. Air India CMD Aswani Lohani Tweeted on Tuesday.

 “In view of the coronavirus issue, AI is suspending its flights to Hong Kong after flying AI314 on Friday (Feb 7).” With this announcement, all flights by Indian carriers to China will be suspended after Friday.

Among Chinese carriers, Shandong Airlines and Air China have suspended their flights to India.

As of Tuesday, 425 people have died due to the outbreak and around 20,000 people tested positive for the virus infection in China.

In a letter issued by the Bureau of Immigration, Ministry of Home Affairs, Kolkata said: "All airlines are informed not to take on board any passenger from China, including Chinese or other foreign nationals who may be holding valid (electronic travel authority) ETA/e-visa to board their aircraft for any destination in India."

The implementation of the order "starts with immediate effect and shall remain in force till further notice", the letter said.

The notice was signed by the Foreigners Regional Registration Officer, Kolkata.

The decision came two days after around 650 Indians, who had signed consent forms for evacuation by the government, were brought back from China. All of them are undergoing a 14-day quarantine process in Delhi at the moment.

Following the evacuation, the Indian embassy in China had said: "Due to certain current developments, travel to India on e-visas stands temporarily suspended with immediate effect."

It had also informed that "holders of already issued e-visas were no longer valid".

However, the embassy has asked Indian citizens in China to contact them in Beijing or consulates and Indian visa application centres in Shanghai and Guangzhou in case there was a "compelling reason" to visit India.

ALSO READ | Coronavirus in India: Kerala tourism hit after govt declares ‘State Calamity'

Latest India News

Write a comment