Three labourers died out of suffocation while cleaning a sewage treatment plant of a housing complex in Maharashtra's Thane late on Friday, civic officials said.
According to Santosh Kadam, chief of the Regional Disaster Management Cell of the Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC), the incident occurred when a total of eight labourers got stuck inside the plant, while they were involved in the STP cleaning operation.
Five of them were rescued by the fire brigade personnel, while the remaining three choked to death at around 12.30 am, he said.
Also Read | Gurgaon: Three labourers trapped inside 12-feet deep pit were installing cable wire; rescued
The deceased labourers were identified as Amit Puhal (20), Aman Badal (21) and Ajay Bumbak (24).
The rescued workers were admitted to a government hospital for treatment, he said.
A case of accidental death has been registered at the Kapurbawdi police station and the bodies have been sent for a postmortem.