In an alleged rape of a three-year-old girl in Jammu and Kashmir’s Bandipora district, Governor Satya Pal Malik on Monday directed police to complete investigations on a fast track basis. So far one person has been arrested.
Malik expressed deep shock and pain over the incident and took a detailed report of the ongoing investigation in the case. The state police have constituted a special investigation team (SIT) to probe the rape case. The girl was allegedly raped in Sumbal area of Bandipora district.
Here are the developments so far: 10 points
- The governor has directed the Divisional Commissioner and the Inspector General of Police of Kashmir to personally monitor the investigation.
- A separate inquiry has also been ordered to check the veracity of the age of the accused and ascertain the authenticity of the age certificate.
- Cops said a preliminary medical examination of the youth accused of raping the girl has shown that he is not a juvenile.
- The governor has assured the people that the administration is taking all step for maintaining public order and anybody having any grievance or apprehension should contact the police control room or the Divisional Commissioner of Kashmir's office.
- Governor Satya Pal Malik appealed to the people not to pay heed to rumours and said rumour mongers will be dealt strictly as per the law.
- Malik directed the IGP to work swiftly in the case and ensure that the culprit gets exemplary punishment.
- Governor Satya Pal Malik has also spoken to religious leaders of different communities and asked them to deplore this gruesome incident.
- During protest against the alleged rape of the girl, over 40 security personnel and seven civilians were injured as clashes broke out in the state.
- Meanwhile, Pakistan condemned the alleged rape, terming it as a "horrific" incident.
- Markets and educational institutions were shut and most transport went off the roads as protests broke out in all 10 districts of the Valley with those taking to the streets seeking death for the young man, Tahir Ahmed Mir, who allegedly raped the girl in Bandipora on May 9.
(With inputs from agencies)