The final draft of National Register of Citizens (NRC) was released in Assam on Monday, which declared over 40 lakh citizens 'outsiders'. The final draft NRC included 2 crore 89 lakh 83 thousand 677 people as 'eligible', out of total applicants of 3 crore 29 lakh 91 thousand and 384.
"Out of 3.29 crore people, 2.89 crore have been found eligible to be included. This is just a draft, and not the final list.The people who are not included can make claims and objections. I must emphasise that this is a draft, not the final one," said Assam Registrar General Sailesh while releasing the final NRC draft in Guwahati.
The NRC is being updated under the Supreme Court supervision with March 24, 1971 as the cut-off date for genuine Indian citizens in Assam.
The first draft of the ongoing NRC process was released at the midnight of December 31, 2017. It comprised 1.9 crore names out of the total application of 3.29 crore people in Assam.
You can follow the below mentioned steps to check your name online on the official list:
- Log in to the official Assam government website, i.e. www(.)assam(.)gov(.)in
- Click on ‘for complete draft NRC’ and select from the links given below
- A new tab will open which will ask for your Application Receipt Number (ARN). Your ARN number is printed on the front page of the NRC form filled by you.
- Enter the captcha as shown on the screen
- Click ‘search’
- The complete NRC draft will be displayed on your screen
You can also check your NRC Assam draft through text message by typing ARN space ARN number and sending it to 9765556555.
Toll free numbers 15107 (from Assam) or 18003453762 (outside Assam) are also available and can be used for assistance.