An itchy and dry scalp is an irritating factor for everyone and needs to be treated well to have shiny tresses. From regular cleansing with a scalp compatible shampoo, sun protection methods like covering head with scarves to religiously massaging are a few steps that can give you a healthy scalp, said experts.
Melissa Hughe, Education Head at Kérastase, doles out some tips:
*Regular cleansing with a scalp compatible shampoo like oily scalp shampoo or sensitive scalp shampoo is a must to counter the excessive oil, sweat and dirt build up in the summer.
*A soothing, refreshing scalp masque to keep the scalp balanced (hydrated or soothed) and deodorized is another must do.
*Keep the scalp clean and dry to avoid scalp irritations.
*Wear a scarf or sun hat when exposed to direct sunlight.
* A specific scalp treatment or ritual to counter any concerns is recommended once in 15 days to a month (depending on intensity of concern).
* Drink lots of fluids to keep the skin and scalp hydrated
* A scalp detox or scalp deep cleansing once in 15 days will keep scalp concerns at bay.
* Keep your hair deep conditioned, hydrated and frizz free with the right products.
Kama Ayurveda's in-house doctor Sharad Kulkarni too has some tips to share:
* Regular (weekly 3-4 days) massage to scalp, hair and ears with a natural oil for at least 10 minutes each time is a must.
* Massage is followed by hair wash with a natural hair cleanser.
* Do not use hot water for head bath and opt for lukewarm water
* Dry the hair completely without using a hair drying blower.
* Apply any of the natural non sticky hair oil or cream in less quantity post hair wash.
* Avoid frequent use of styling gels or sprays on the hairs.
* Consume plenty of water especially in the morning and keep re-hydrating.
* Avoid over exposure to sunlight or wind.
* Exercise using half of your strength rather than straining too much.
* Do Pranayama for at least 10 minutes a day.
(With IANS inputs)