The QS World University Rankings has released its rankings for world's top universities for 2021. There are 47 new entrants in this year’s top 1,000 while over 5,500 universities were evaluated and considered for inclusion. The Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (IIT Bombay) is top most institute in India as per QS World University Rankings 2021.
The QS University Rankings are based on eight indicators; academic reputation, employer reputation, faculty/student ratio, staff with a PhD, papers per faculty, citations per paper, international faculty and international students.
Overall, only 21 Indian higher education universities and institutes have found a place in the world’s top 1,000 rankings. According to QS World University Rankings, India’s best research university is IISc Bangalore, which received a perfect 100/100 on the ‘citations per faculty’ indicator.
IIT Bombay, Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru, and IIT Delhi managed to figure in the Top 200 list in QS rankings. Other IITs in the top 500 are: Madras ranked 275th, Kharagpur ranked 314, Kanpur ranked 350, Roorkee ranked 383 and Guwahati ranked 470.
Top 10 Universities in India (as per QS Rankings)
- Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IITB)
- Indian Institute of Science (Bengaluru)
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IITD)
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IITM)
- Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur (IIT-KGP)
- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (IITK)
- Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee (IITR)
- Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (IITG)
- University of Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad
Meanwhile, QS World Rankings for Universities has ranked the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) as world’s best university, MIT is followed followed by Stanford University and Harvard University.