ye-public-hai-sab-jaanti-hai
  1. You Are At:
  2. English News
  3. Technology
  4. Nokia feature phone burst into flames while kept under pillow at night; causes injuries to Kerala man

Nokia feature phone burst into flames while kept under pillow at night; causes injuries to Kerala man

What's surprising about the incident is that the phone wasn't put on charging while it was kept under the pillow

Vanshika Malhotra Written by: Vanshika Malhotra @vanshika1628
New Delhi Updated on: November 09, 2020 15:55 IST
nokia, nokia phones, nokia feature phone, nokia feature phone catches fire, tech news
Image Source : THE NEWS MINUTE

The burnt Nokia phone

UPDATE: Nokia reached out to IndiaTV Tech and provided a statement on the incident. Here's what the HMD Global-owned company has to say:

"HMD is committed to producing high-quality handsets which deliver a strong user experience and meet high customer expectations. We take any customer concerns seriously. In response to the reported case in Kerala, we spoke to the customer and understand that he had purchased the device four years ago in 2016. The device was not manufactured or sold by HMD. Further, the customer has shared that he disposed of the device and has no further request on it."

Nokia feature phones have been known for their longevity and memes are enough to tell us how long can they last. However, in a shocking incident, a Nokia feature phone caught fire at night while kept under a pillow. This incident led to injuries on the left arm and shoulder of the Kerala-based user the phone belonged to. Read on to know more about this.

Nokia phone caught fire at night

As per a report by Manorama, Chandra Babu from Kollam district of Kerala was fast asleep when the incident took place at night. It is suggested that the phone was kept under the pillow and after a while, Babu felt a pain in the shoulder. When he looked at the bed, he found the feature phone had caught fire and sparks were coming out of it. He received injuries on his left arm and shoulder since he wasn't wearing a shirt at night.

In a statement to The News Minute, the 53-year-old Babu stated, "I was back home after a long ride to the Trivandrum International Airport with a passenger. Since I was very tired, I had a sound sleep. I woke up as I felt a searing pain in my shoulder. When I looked at the bed, the side of the pillow where the phone was kept was burnt and sparks were coming from the phone."

Following this, Babu, who was alone at home, immediately pushed the phone to the ground and rushed to the hospital. 

What's surprising about the incident is that the phone wasn't put on charging while it was kept under the pillow. While a proper reason for this is unknown, Babu suggests that the phone could have overheated causing the battery to swell and burst.

After getting to know of the incident many people contacted Babu to know about the whole fiasco. An astonished Babu asks people to not keep their phones under the pillow while sleeping.

Since we don't know what exactly could be the reason for this near-fatal incident, Nokia should address the issue and try finding out what really happened. Meanwhile, you should know that you shouldn't charge your phone and avoid keeping it too close to you while sleeping.

Latest technology reviews, news and more

Write a comment