Commonwealth Games 2022, Highlights: Mirabai Chanu wins Gold in 49kg women's weightlifting
Womens 49kg Weightlifting - Clean & Jerk
- Like snatch, she tried 115kg in her 3rd attempt, but failed. But yes, It's first gold for India at Birmingham. What a performance by Mirabai Chanu.
- She is back, and will attempt 113kg in her 2nd attempt. Yes, it all too easy for her. 113kg - done and dusted!
- Here she is - Mirabai Chanu - She will attempt 109kg in her first attempt. And yes, she has done it. Gold for India.
- Well, Marie came back and lifts 96kg. She goes to the top of the list. But, all this is for silver and bronze to be honest. Wait till you see Mirabai perform.
- 38-year-old Loa lifts 96 kg. She is now joing highest with Stella with a combined weight of 170kg.
- Stella Peters lifts 95kg in her 2nd attempt. Great show of determination and the 19-year-old.
- Marie failed to lift 92kg in her first attempt, but lifted 93kg in her second. Goes onto say that it's all in the mind. Great display of skill and grit.
- Okay, Mirabai Chanu will try and lift 105kg in her first attempt.
- Ying Ying Chan lifts her personal best weight of 76kg. Great effort there.
Womens 49kg Weightlifting - Snatch
- She went for 90kg but couldn't do it. Anyways, she is way ahead of the competition. But is there any?
- 2nd attempt of Chanu - 88kg. Done and dusted. Her personal best.
- Unbelievable! Chanu is going for 84kg in her 1st attempt. WOW! She has done it with utter ease.
- Marie is back for her 3rd attempt and lifts 76kg. Look at her go. She is all pumped up.
- Stella now trying for 75kg in her 3rd attempt. And yes! She does it and she does it all with a smile.
- Hannah lifts 74 kg in her 3rd attempt with ease. So does Loa of PNG.
- Marie now lifts 73kg in her 2nd attempt. It will be interesting to see if Mirabai reduces her weight considering no one has even touched 75 as of now.
- Stella is back and lifts 73kg in her 2nd attempt. Look at that smile. Wow!
- Hannah from Canada does one better. Lifts 72 kg.
- England's Noorie too lifts 71kg.
- 21-year-old Marie Mauritius lifts 71 kg in her first attempt.
- 19-year-old Stella Peter from Nigeria picks up 70kg in her 1st attempt. Things starting to get serious now.
- Mirabai will start with the weight of 80kg. The second best is as low as 70kg. Wow! Talk about confidence.
- Time for Mirabai Chanu to bring home the glory in Women's 49kg event.There is a strong chance we might get another medal in weightlifting today.
Interesting Event: A video involving India sprinter Hima Das had many people misinformed today. The clip claimed that Hima Das had won the 400m Gold in CWG at Birmingham. Acutally, the clipping was from the U-20 World Athletics Championship in 2018.
- Nitendra Singh Rawat clocks 2 hours 19 minutes and 22 seconds in the men's marathon race and finished at 12th place. Uganda's Victor Kiplangat won the race.
- Saurav Ghosal defeats Shamil Wakeel of SL 11-4, 11-4, 11-6 in Squash - Round of 32.
Weightlifting Events Ahead
- Women's 49kg
- Women's 55kg
Mirabai Chanu and Bindyarani Devi will be in action.
- Poojary wins bronze for India.
- Unbelievable! 151kg in 3rd attempt. Medal confirmed for India.
- Wow! Now he lifts 148kg in 2nd attempt. His personal best.
- Poojary lifts 144kg in first attempt.
- Time for Clean and Jerk.
- He fails to lift 120kg in his third attempt.
- Poojary has now lifted 115kg in his first attempt, and 118kg in his second.
- Gururaja Poojary will now compete in the 61kg weightlifting category. Mind you, he won the silver medal at the 2018 CWG event in the 56kg category.
In other news, Indian shuttlers defeated Sri Lanka 5-0 and qualified for the knockouts.
- Sanket Sargar opens India's medal count in Birmingham as he finishes 2nd in men's 55kg weightlifting event. He lifted a total weight of 248kg.
- He lifted 113 kg in Snatch and 135kg in Clean & Jerk.
- He even injured himself while attempting one of the lifts.
- It was a genuine heartbreak as Bib Aniq of Malaysia lifted just one KG more.
- Dilanka Yodage from Sri Lanka lifted 225 kg and finished with a bronze medal.
- Indian women's table tennis team defeated Guyana 3-0.
- India has qualified for knockout stage in mixed team badminton.
- Lovlina Borgohain to compete in over 66-Kg-70 Kg (Light Middleweight) round of 1.
- Hussam Uddin Mohammed tp compete in over 54Kg-57kg (Featherweight) round of 32.
- India to go against Sri Lanka in nixed team Group play stage.