1. You Are At:
  2. English News
  3. Sports News
  4. Cricket News
  5. Exclusive | No scope of cricket left after Pulwama attack, strong message should be sent to Pakistan: Sourav Ganguly

Exclusive | No scope of cricket left after Pulwama attack, strong message should be sent to Pakistan: Sourav Ganguly

Read In Hindi

Pulwama Terror Attack: Sourav Ganguly opened up on IndiaTV's "Cricket Ki Baat" show regarding the deadly Pulwama terror attack and said that India should not play cricket with Pakistan anymore.

India TV Sports Desk India TV Sports Desk
New Delhi Updated on: February 20, 2019 22:09 IST
Representative News Image
Image Source : PTI

Exclusive | No scope of cricket left after Pulwama attack, strong message should be sent to Pakistan: Sourav Ganguly

Former India captain Sourav Ganguly on Wednesday said he is extremely sad following the Pulwama terror attack and also opined that the Indian government should give a strong reply to Pakistan.

Sourav Ganguly opened up on IndiaTV's "Cricket Ki Baat" show regarding the deadly Pulwama terror attack and said that India should not only stop playing cricket but should cut all sporting ties with Pakistan to send out a strong message.

Not only that, but he also felt that India should take a strong stand against Pakistan following last week's deadly attack in Jammu and Kashmir's Pulwama district in which 40 CRPF personnel were killed when a Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorist rammed an explosives-laden vehicle into the bus on which the CRPF jawans were travelling.

"Whatever happened in Pulwama last week was really sad...it is the worst possible thing that could ever happen. And, whatever reactions came from the people of India...was right. There is no chance of a bilateral series with Pakistan after this incident.

"I can also understand the sentiments of people asking India not to play Pakistan in the World Cup and I feel the government should take strong action on this issue. The aftereffect of this should be strong from India," Ganguly said on IndiaTV's "Cricket Ki Baat" show.

"I agree that after this attack, India should not only stop playing cricket, hockey or football with Pakistan but should cut all ties with them," Ganguly added.

Ganguly's reaction comes after former cricketers, citizens and officials cried out loud that India should boycott Pakistan in the upcoming World Cup and not play them in England and Wales.

The 46-year-old also weighed in on the issue. "I agree that India should stop relations with Pakistan and we need to send a strong message to them. We should take strong action from every angle by the government and we should do this by taking into consideration the sentiments of the nation.

"I don't think anything is left in BCCI after the Supreme Court situation. There are no office bearers left to take a decision but I feel that BCCI should take a strong decision on the issue and send a strong no nonsense message," Ganguly said when asked if the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) should take an action against the issue.

"This is a 10-team World Cup and every team plays every team and I feel if India doesn't play a match in the World Cup, it won't be an issue," he added.

Ganguly also said that India will not have an issue if they don't play Pakistan in the tournament as it is a 10-team World Cup and India can do without playing Pakistan in England.

"ICC can't go on with a World Cup without India and I feel it will be really difficult for ICC to go on with a World Cup without India. But, you also have to see if India have the power to stop ICC from doing such a thing. But, I feel a strong message should be sent," Ganguly said.

Write a comment

Bigg boss 13
plastic-ban

Live Scorecard