Karachi/New Delhi, June 13: The shahenshah(emperor) of ghazal Mehdi Hassan is no more. He was 84.
After fighting a protracted battle against illness, the ace singer, hailing originally from Rajasthan, breathed his last at the Liaquat National Hospital in Karachi, his son Arif Mehdi said.
Mehdi Hassan was on ventilator for the last few weeks, and his condition suddenly deteriorated at around 4 am today, and his body began to get bloated. Doctors rushed in and tried to save him, but failed, said his son.
The namaaz-e-janaaza of the ghazal singer will be decided in consultation with his brothers, Mehdi Hassan's son said.
Mehdi Hassan was born on July 18, 1927 in a village called Luna in Rajasthan.
He belonged to a family of traditional musicians and claimed to the 16th generation of hereditary musicians hailing from the Kalawant clan of musicians.
Mehdi Hassan had his musical grooming from his father Ustad Azeem Khan and uncle Ustad Ismail Khan who were both traditional Dhrupad singers.
Hassan started to perform at a young age and the first concert of dhrupad and kheyal with his elder brother is reported to have been held in Fazilka Bangla near present DC House (1935) of Undivided Punjab.
After the Partition of India, 20-year-old Hassan and his family migrated to Pakistan and suffered severe financial hardships.
To make both the ends meet, Mehdi started working in a bicycle shop and later became a car and diesel tractor mechanic.
Despite the hardships, his passion for music didn't wither and he kept up the routine of practice on a daily basis.
The struggle ended when Mehdi Hassan was given the opportunity to sing on Radio Pakistan in 1957, primarily as a thumri singer, which earned him recognition.
At the time, Ustad Barkat Ali Khan, Begum Akhtar and Mukhtar Begum were considered the stalwarts of ghazal rendition.
Following a severe illness in the late 80s, Mehdi Hassan stepped down from playback singing.
Later due to severity of his illness he completely departed from music.
In October 2010, HMV released “Sarhadein” in which probably the first and last duet song “Tera Milna” featuring Mehdi Hassan and Lata Mangeshkar was released.
This song was composed by Hassan himself written by Farhat Shahzad. Hassan recorded it in Pakistan in 2009, and Lata Mangeshkar later heard the track and recorded her part in India in 2010 and later mixed together for a duet.
Mehdi Hassan was the recipient of numerous awards and recognitions: the Tamgha-e-Imtiaz given by dictator Field Marshal Ayub Khan, Pride of Performance bestowed on him by another dictator Gen Ziaul Haq, and the Hilal-e-Imtiaz conferred by Gen Pervez Musharraf.
He was presented the Saigal Award in Jalandhar, India, in 1979.
The Gorkha Dakshina Bahu Award was given to him in Nepal in 1983.
Mehdi Hassan had been suffering from a serious lung condition for the past few years.
Some of his albums are: Kehna Usey , Nazrana , Live at Royal Albert Hall , Andaz-e-Mastana , Classical Ghazals vol. 1, 2, 3 , Dil Jo Rota Hai , Ghalib Ghazals , Ghazals For Ever Vol 1 , Golden Collection Of Mehdi Hasan Vol 1, 2 , Golden Greats , In Concert , Khuli Jo Aankh , Sarhadein, Sada-e-Ishq, Sur ki koi seema nahin, and Naqsh-e-Fariyadi.
Mehdi Hassan's timeless ghazals include : Ranjish Hi Sahi Dil Hi Dukhaane Ke Liye Aa, Shola Tha Jal Bujha Hoon , Zindagi Mein To Sabhi Pyaar Kiya Karte Hain , Rafta Rafta Wo Meri Hasti Ka Saamaan Ho Gaye , Patta Patta Boota Boota ,Ab Ke Hum Bichde To Shaayad Kabhi Khwaabon Mein Mile , and Main nazar se pee rha hoon.
Other notable ghazals sung by him include:
- Aage barhe na qissa -e -ishq -e- butaan se hum
- Aaj Tak Yaad Hai Woh Piar Ka Manzar
- Aankhon Se Mili Aankhen
- Aap Ki Aankhon Ne
- Aaye kuchh abr kuchh sharaab aaye (poet: Faiz Ahmed Faiz)
- Ae Raushnion Ke Shahr
- Apnon Ne Gham Diye To Yaad Aa Gaya
- Bhuuli bisri chand umeedein
- Chalte ho to chaman ko chaliye
- Charaag-e-toor Jalao Bada Andhera Hai
- Dekh to dil keh jaan se uthta hai
- Dil-E-Nadan Tujhe Hua Kya Hai (poet: Mirza Ghalib)
- Dil Ki Baat Labon Par Laakar.
- Dil Men Toofan Chupae Betha Hon
- Duniya Kisi Ke Pyaar Mein Jaanat Se Kam Nahin
- Dayam Pada Hua Tere Dar Pe Nahi Hoon Main (poet: Mirza Ghalib)
- Ek Bar Chale Aao
- Ek Bus Tu Hi Nahin Mujhse Khafa ho Baitha (poet: Farhat Shezhad)
- Ek Sitam Aur Meri Jaan, Abhi Jaan Baqi Hai (poet: Masroor Anwar)
- Fikr hii thaharii to dil ko fikr-e-Khubaan kyon Na Ho (poet: Josh Malihabadi)
- Ga Mere Dewane Dil
- Garmi-e-Hasrat-e-Naakaam se Jal Jate Hain
- Gulon Main Rang Bhare, Baad-e-Naubahaar Chale (Lyrics: Faiz Ahmed Faiz)
- Gulshan gulshan shola e gul ki
- Guncha-e-Shauq Laga hei Khilne
- Hamari Sanson Men Aaj Tak
- Har Dard Ko
- Hum mei koi ghum nahi tha ghum-e-aashiqi sai pahlay
- Ik Husn Ki Dewi Se Mujhe Pyaar Hua Thaa
- Ik khalish ko haasil-e-umr-e-ravaan rehne diya (poet: Adeeb Saharanpuri)
- Jab Bhi Aati Hei Teri Yaad Kabhi Shaam ke Baad
- Jab Bhi Chahen Ek Nai Sorat
- Jab Bhi Pee Kar
- Jab Koi Piar Se Bulaae Ga
- Jab Us zulf Ki Baat Chali
- Jahan Jake Chain
- Kahan Gai Woh Wafa
- Khuli Jo Aankh Woh Tha (poet: Farhat Shezhad)
- Kiya Hei Pyaar Jisse Humne Zindagi ki Tarah
- Kya Bhala Mujhko Parakhne Ka Nateeja Nikla
- Kyoon Humse Khafa Ho Gaye Ae Jaan-E-Tamanna
- Main Hosh Mein Tha
- Main khayal houn kisi aur ka (poet: Saleem Kausar)
- Mohabat Karne Wale
- Mohabat Zindagi Hai Aur Tum Meri Mohabat Ho
- Mujhe Tum Nazar Se Gira To Rahe Ho
- Naavak andaz jidhar diida-e-jaana honge
- Phuul hi phuul khil utthe
- Pyaar Bhare Do Sharmile Nain
- Rim Jhim Ki Barsaat Hai Aur Jaage Huye Jazbaat Hain
- Roshan Jamal-e-yaar Se Hain
- Saamne Aa Ke Tujhko Pukara Nahin
- Sahar Ho Rahi Hai
- Shikwa Na Kar Gila Na Kar Ye Duniya Hai Pyaare
- (penned by: Ahmed Faraz)
- Tanha Thi Aur Hamesha Se Tanha Hai Zindagi
- Tark-e-Ulfat Ka Sila
- Tere Bheege Badan Ki Khooshboo Se
- Tere Mere Piar Ka Aisa Nata Hai
- Toote Hue Khwabon Ke Liye
- Thah ar Thorri Der To
- Tu Meri Zindagi Hei (Copied by Nadeem Sharavan in "Ashiqi" Hindi Movie India)
- Usne Jab Meri Taraf
- Uzr Aane Mein Bhi Hei Aur Bulaate bhi nahin
- Wo Dil Nawaaj Hei Lekin Nazar Shinaas Nahin
- Yaaro Kisii Qaatil Se Kabhii Pyaar Na Maa.Ngo
- Yun na mil mujhse khafa ho jaise
- Ye Dhooan Kahan Se Uthta Hei
- Ye Kaghzi Phool Jaise Chahre
- Ye Mojazaa Bhii Muhabbat Kabhii Dikhaaye Mujhe
- Ye Tera Naazuk Badan Hai Ya Koi Mehka Gulaab
- Yoon Zindagi Ki Raah Mein Takra Gaya Koi
- Zulf Ko Teri Ghataon Ka Payam Aaya Hai