US lawmaker sues Obama over NSA data collection
Washington: A US lawmaker Wednesday officially filed his class-action lawsuit against the Obama administration over National Security Agency (NSA) data collection, joining with two prominent tea party leaders to make the announcement.Rand Paul, a Republican
The senator also argued that there's "no evidence" that NSA surveillance of phone data has stopped terrorism, even as the agency's proponents say it plays an important role in keeping the country safe.
Reports over the weekend indicated that the NSA takes information only from 20 percent of American calls, or less -- a lower figure than previously thought.
But Paul noted that the point is not how many percent NSA took, but whether or not you still collect millions of people's information with a single warrant.
In response to the lawsuit, the Justice Department said Wednesday that the telephone metadata programme is legal, as at least 15 judges have previously found.
Paul has been publicly promoting the lawsuit for weeks -- an effort that appears to also be helping him build a campaign infrastructure for 2016, when he's up for re-election to the Senate and when the White House is in play.
Read all the Breaking News Live on indiatvnews.com and Get Latest English News & Updates from World
Advertisement
Advertisement
-
Regional ripples growing? UAE suspends all trade, finance deals with Iran after missile attack
-
UAE warns of 'potential missile threats', asks residents to remain in a safe place
-
Indian Army chief General Seth meets Nepal PM Balendra Shah in Kathmandu, discusses defence ties
-
Trump posts map labelling Strait of Hormuz 'new US territory' as Iran says waterway to remain shut
-
Imran Khan ordered to be shifted from jail to hospital by Pakistan Supreme Court amid health concern
Top News
-
Nine killed as fire rips through hotel at Kolkata's Mirza Ghalib Street
-
Regional ripples growing? UAE suspends all trade, finance deals with Iran after missile attack
-
Jharkhand govt cancels 39 recruitment exams over irregularities, postpones 6 - check list
-
Trump posts map labelling Strait of Hormuz 'new US territory' as Iran says waterway to remain shut
Advertisement
Advertisement