The death toll in Sunday suicide bombing in Afghanistan's capital Kabul has reached 52, local media reported quoting official sources. A suicide bomber struck a voter registration centre in the Afghan capital. According to reports, ISIS has claimed responsibility for the deadly attack.
Earlier, Afghanistan's Ministry of Public Health revised the death toll to 48 people, including 22 men, 21 women and 5 children. The number of wounded was put at 112, Afghanistan's TOLO News said.
Gen Daud Amin, the Kabul police chief, said the suicide bomber targeted civilians who had gathered to receive national identification cards. All roads to the blast site were blocked by the police, with only ambulances allowed in.
#KabulExplosion - Ministry of Public Health confirms rise in deaths in Sunday's deadly bombing in Kabul. 48 people killed, including 22 men, 21 women and 5 children; the number of wounded also revised to 112 #Afghanistan— TOLOnews (@TOLOnews) April 22, 2018
The Taliban and a local Islamic State affiliate both view Afghanistan’s government and democratic elections as illegitimate. Afghanistan will hold parliamentary elections in October.
Last week, three police officers responsible for guarding voter registration centers in two Afghan provinces were killed by militants, according to authorities.
Elsewhere in Afghanistan, a district police chief in the northern Balkh province died of his wounds after being shot Saturday during a gunbattle with insurgents, according to Sher Jan Durrani, spokesman for the provincial police chief in Balkh. He said around a dozen insurgents were also killed in the battle, which is still underway.
Durrani identified the slain commander as Halim Khanjar, police chief for the Char Bolak district. The Taliban had claimed responsibility for the killing.