German police said on Saturday that the man who killed nine people and injured several others in a shooting rampage at Olympia Einkaufszentrum shopping centre in the Munich city has committed suicide and was likely the lone shooter.
"We found a man, who killed him himself. We assume, that he was the only shooter. #gunfire #munich," the police tweeted.
Munich police chief Hubertus Andrae told reporters early Saturday that nine people were killed on Friday evening by a gunman who took his own life when he encountered police, raising the toll to a total of 10.
A total of 21 people were injured, he said, including three who were in serious condition.
India TV cannot independently verify the authenticity of this video sourced from the internet.
Attacker identified as 18-year-old German-Iranian
The police chief said that the gunman was 18-year-old Iranian from Munich who had been living in Munich for longer than two years, CNN reported.
"Police don't believe the gunman, an 18-year-old German-Iranian, had any accomplices," he noted.
The motive for the shootings was unclear, the police president said, adding that 2,300 law enforcement officials responded to the incident, BBC reported.
The police president also said that two people seen fleeing the scene in a vehicle were initially considered to be suspects.
According to CNN, "On the basis of witness reports and CCTV footage" a man found dead near the scene is considered to be the suspect. Police currently believe nobody else was involved.
Advisory by Indian consulate in Munich
The Indian consulate in Munich has put out an advisory and helpline numbers so that Indians in Munich could report their safety from the shooting rampage.
Safety of Indian nationals may be informed on Indian Consulate, Munich helpline numbers 0171 2885973, 01512 3595006, 0175 4000667," a post said on official Twitter account of the Consulate General of India in Munich, Germany.
"All those undertaking travel to Munich are advised to be in touch with their respective airlines/travel agencies," another post said.
Meanwhile, Ambassador of India to Germany Gurjit Singh tweeted that people should follow the police advice.
"#Munichattack. Situation live& not conclusive. #IndianCommunity must follow police advice:stayindoors help others stayin touch with groups," Singh wrote on official twitter account IndianAmb in Germany @AmbGurjitSingh.
"#Munichattack.our heart is for Munich &Germany," another tweet said.
PM Modi condemns the attack
Prime Minister Narendra Modi today condemned the "horrific" attack in Munich and said his prayers are with the families of the deceased.
"We are appalled by the horrific incident in Munich. Our thoughts & prayers are with the families of the deceased & those injured," he said in a tweet.
Nine persons were killed and 21 injured when a gunman went on a shooting rampage in a mall in Munich in Germany.
(With IANS inputs)