Uttar Pradesh’s Shamli district witnessed a shameful incident that sheds lights on the prevailing superstitions in the country.
According to a Times of India report, a family in Kandhla region of Shamli district buried their 12-year-old in mud leaving only her face out for breathing after she suffered an electric shock.
The family members of the victim minor claimed that they did this because they believed that the evil effect of a shock would be absorbed by the earth.
The girl was later taken to a nearby hospital by the locals when they found her condition worsening. The doctors found that her right hand and leg suffered 90 per cent burns due to electric shock.
The victim, Muskan, was playing on the roof when she same in contact with a 33,000 volt high-tension wire passing over the house.
There was a loud explosion and the girl collapsed on the ground unconscious.
“We buried her because we thought that the evil effect in her body will be absorbed by the earth and she will be alright,” Times of India quoted Muskan’s mother Farida Begum as saying.
Following the incident, angry locals surrounded the power corporation’s office and demanded them to remove the low-hanging electric wires from residential areas.