Bharatiya Janata Party has fielded actor Sunny Deol from Gurdaspur Lok Sabha seat in Punjab. The Damini actor had joined the ruling party earlier in the day in the presence of Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and Railway Minister Piyush Goyal. "The way my father (film star Dharmendra) was attached with Atalji, today I have come to join Modiji. Whatever I can do for this family (BJP), I will do it... I won't talk, I will show you through my work," Deol said while addressing the media at the Bharatiya Janata Party office in New Delhi.
Here are 10 interesting facts about BJP's new star Sunny Deol:
- Sunny Deol is the eldest son of famous actor Dharmendra. His real name is Ajay Singh Deol. Sunny was his nickname in school.
- Quite contrary to his desi-macho image, Sunny Deol studied acting in England. He studied theatre at the Old World Theater in Birmingham.
- Even as Sunny Deol is known for his stunts and action-packed films, Sunny Deol is quiet and introverted in real life.
- Sunny Deol is the winner of two National Awards. He won the National Award for Best Actor in 1990 for Ghayal and the National Award for Best Supporting Actor in 1993 for Damini. In Damini, Sunny Deol was initially offered a cameo role. But Sunny's acting had so much power, that eventually his screen-time was made longer, and his role became a central character in the film.
- Sunny Deol-starrer Mohalla Assi, which is a satire set in Varanasi (Benaras) has been banned by the Central Bureau of Film Certification for it may hurt religious sentiments upon release.
- Sunny Deol has directed two films in his entire career. The first film is 1999's romantic film Dillagi which featured some of Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy's earliest compositions. The second film he directed was 2016's Ghayal Once Again.
- All the credit for Sunny Deol's muscular physique goes to Hollywood star Sylvester Stallone. In fact, Sunny trained in Stallone's gym to get the perfect body.
- Sunny Deol may have just entered politics, but his family has a long-standing history. His father Dharmendra was a BJP MP from Rajasthan's Bikaner during 14th Lok Sabha. His stepmother Hema Malini is BJP's candidate for Mathura Lok Sabha constituency.
- Sunny Deol will be contesting his debut polls from Gurdaspur Lok Sabha seat in Punjab, which was represented by the late Vinod Khanna from BJP.
- Sunny Deol is widely known for his character Major Kuldip Singh Chandpuri in JP Dutta blockbuster Border on 1971 Indo-Pak war. His character in film Gadar Tara Singh is famously known for uprooting hand pumps in Pakistan. BJP will surely seek to convert his patriotic image into votes in border area constituency Gurdaspur.
Watch more interesting stuff about Sunny Deol in Aap ki Adalat: