1. You Are At:
  2. Home
  3. Business News
  4. Government set to cap premature PF withdrawals at 75%

Government set to cap premature PF withdrawals at 75%

New Delhi: The Labour Ministry is all set to cap premature provident fund withdrawal at 75 percent of total deposits in case an EPFO subscriber goes without a job for two months.The rest 25 percent

PTI [ Updated: July 25, 2015 12:59 IST ]
government set to cap premature pf withdrawals at 75
government set to cap premature pf withdrawals at 75

New Delhi: The Labour Ministry is all set to cap premature provident fund withdrawal at 75 percent of total deposits in case an EPFO subscriber goes without a job for two months.

The rest 25 percent would be paid to the subscriber at the age of 58 years.

At present, Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) subscribers can withdraw the entire amount prematurely by showing not employed anywhere for two months.

The ministry has firmed up the decision on premature PF withdrawals after the EPFO trustees from workers' side unanimously supported the move in a meeting held Friday, a Labour Ministry official said.

The official said that though the ministry has shown its intent to cap PF withdrawal at 75 percent earlier this month, but they wanted to take trade unions representatives on board.

The Labour Ministry will soon issue a notification in this regard to amend the Employees' Provident Fund Scheme to cap the withdrawals, All India Trade Union Congress Secretary D L Sachdev said after the meeting.

However, it was also decided that the provision of inoperative accounts will not be applicable to such cases, Sachdev said.

At present, a subscriber's account becomes inoperative if no contribution is made for 36 months. The EPFO does not credit interest on inoperative accounts.

Under the new provision, EPFO will retain 25 percent of a subscriber's PF till he attains the age of 58, and his account has to be credited with due interest, Sachdev said.

Earlier this month EPFO's Central Provident Fund Commissioner K K Jalan had said, "Presently, out of 1.3 crore annual claims, not less than 65 lakh claims are for full withdrawal. If the proposal is implemented by the Centre, the total number of claims would come down to 50 lakh."

Sachdev said that they suggested that in case of emergency, subscribers should be allowed to withdraw a part of remaining 25 percent under certain conditions.

These condition could be requirement for money for treatment of deadly diseases like cancer or for heart bypass surgery or for any other such situation, he added.

Promoted Content

Write a comment

monsoon-climate-change