The recently-concluded eleventh edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) provided fans with some exhilarating cricketing action that lasted for nearly two months. In many ways, this IPL edition provided some nostalgic feel to all the cricket fans as former India captain MS Dhoni bagged the third title with Chennai Super Kings. Interestingly, this was also the first season in the history of IPL where no controversy or fight among any player took place.
Apart from breaking several viewership records on the digital medium, the 2018 edition also saw many new records being made on the field. In more ways than one, it was a magical season of cricket where the quality of cricket played was top-notch. Many new heroes were emerged and made a name for themselves among the stalwarts of the game. Players like Rashid Khan, Prithvi Shaw, Shubhman Gill, Rishabh Pant, Mujeeb Ur Rahman caught everyone's attention and enthralled the cricket enthusiasts with their style of play.
IPL 2018 Final: Watson hammers ton as Chennai Super Kings thump Sunrisers Hyderabad to lift third trophy
In this piece, we have listed some unknown records that were broken in this year's IPL:-
1. Delhi Daredevils wicket-keeper batsman Rishabh Pant registered the highest individual by an Indian player in a IPL match. He smashed 128* in 63 balls against Sunrisers Hyderabad. The past record belonged to Murali Vijay's 127, scored against the Rajasthan Royals in 2010.
2. Mujeeb Ur Rahman of Kings XI Punjab becomes the youngest player to play the IPL match. He made his debut against Delhi Daredevils at the age of just 17 years and 11 days.
3. Royal Challengers Bangalore skipper Virat Kohli became the first player to score 500+ runs in five different edition of IPL.
4. Chennai Super Kings winning captain MS Dhoni held the record of most stumpings in IPL history. Dhoni took his tally to 33 stumpings in 175 IPL matches.
5. Aaron Finch became the first player in IPL history to represent seven different teams. He represented Rajasthan Royals, Delhi Daredevils, Pune Warriors, Sunrisers Hyderabad, Mumbai Indians and Gujarat Lions. The burly Australian was a part of Kings XI Punjab in this year's edition.
6. Kings XI Punjab opener KL Rahul smashed the fastest ever IPL half-century, he completed his fifty in just 14 balls against Delhi Daredevils.
7. Kolkata Knight Riders bowling all-rounder Sunil Narine became the first overseas spinner to take 100 IPL wickets.
8. CSK - RCB league stage match witnessed 33 sixes, the most in 11 year long IPL history.
9. RCB captain Virat Kohli smashed his 54th T20 fifty against the Mumbai Indians breaking Gautam Gambhir's record of the most T20 fifties by an Indian.
10. Dhoni also became the first cricketer to play 8 IPL finals. The former India captain played seven finals with Chennai Super Kings and one with now-defunct Rising Pune Supergiant.
11. Sunrisers Hyderabad pacer Basil Thampi also got an unwanted record against his name, he became the first-ever bowler to concede 70 runs in an IPL match against Royal Challengers Bangalore. Thampi was named the IPL Emerging Player in 2017.
12. Rajasthan Royals batsman Jos Buttler equalled Virender Sehwag's record as he slammed five consecutive fifty-plus scores in the 2018 edition of the cash-rich league.