1. You Are At:
  2. Home
  3. Politics News
  4. National News
  5. Mohammad Shahabuddin surrenders before Siwan court, sent back to Bhagalpur jail

Mohammad Shahabuddin surrenders before Siwan court, sent back to Bhagalpur jail

The Supreme Court cancelled the bail granted to RJD strongman Mohammed Shahabuddin by the Patna High Court earlier this month.

India TV Politics Desk, New Delhi [ Updated: September 30, 2016 19:27 IST ]
Image Source : PTI File photo Mohammad Shahabuddin. He was today sent back to Bhagalpur jail.

Following the cancellation of his bail by the Supreme Court on Friday, RJD strongman Mohammad Shahabuddin surrendered before the Siwan district court and was sent back to Bhagalpur jail. 

After surrendering in the court, Shahabuddin told the media that he respected the apex court's decision.

“I don’t care about what people say, I respect the judiciary system,” he said.

He also attacked Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar saying that his supporters will give him a reply in the next assembly elections.

The former Lok Sabha member said he stood by his earlier comment that ‘Nitish Kumar is a Chief Minister of circumstances’. 

Earlier in the day, the Supreme Court set aside the Patna High Court's September 7 order granting him bail in the Rajiv Roshan murder case.

The apex court had reserved its order on Thursday after hearing three petitions by Rajiv Roshan's father Chandrakeshwar Prasad, his wife Kalawati Devi and the state government for cancellation of Shahabuddin's bail.

A local RJD leader, considered close to Shahabuddin, said that the criminal-turned-politician surrendered in the Siwan court without delay. 

"Unlike in 2003 when he surrendered in the court along with thousands of his supporters, he went alone this time and surrendered," the RJD functionary said.

Early this week, Shahabuddin said he would abide by the apex court's order, whatever it may be.

His supporters were upset over the apex court's order. 

According to district police officials, Shahabuddin surrendered in the court even before police could arrest him.

"When a team of security forces led by the District Superintendent of Police reached his residence at Pratappur village, where he was staying after his release from the (Bhagalpur Central) jail, Shahabuddin was not there. His supporters said he had already surrendered in court. It surprised the police."

Last week, the apex court issued notice to Shahabuddin on a plea challenging the grant of bail to him in the murder case.

Senior lawyer Prashant Bhushan filed a petition on behalf of Chandrakeshwar Prasad for cancellation of bail on the ground that Shahabiddin will misuse his liberty to derail the case trial and his release posed threat to the petitioner's life.

Shahabuddin is the main accused in the murder of Chandrakeshwar Prasad's third son while he was already convicted in the murder of his two other sons.


The Bihar government also moved the apex court on the bail cancellation issue. 

After Justice Jitendra Mohan Sharma of the Patna High Court granted bail to Shahabuddin on September 7, he was released from the Bhagalpur Central Jail on September 10 after spending 11 years in prison.

Write a comment

The Accidental Prime Minster