Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Friday said the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) would be asked to probe the violence near the state's border with Nagaland in the wake of kidnapping of two youth allegedly by Naga men on June 26.
He made the announcement at a meeting with a joint delegation of seven students' organizations, which had agitated in the past few days in Golaghat district to protest the government's failure to handle the violence.
Gogoi said his government would find out the truth behind the violence by handing over the case to the CBI.
"The first priority of the government is to restore peace in the affected areas and to send back the displaced people to their homes," the Chief Minister said.
He said a probe instituted by the state government at the additional chief secretary level and also by a retired high court judge would also help to find out the truth behind the incidents, including police excess, if any.
Gogoi assured the delegation that security measures would be in place, including permanent police pickets, in the affected areas to instill confidence among the people living along the inter-state border.
He said adequate rehabilitation measures, including food, medicine would be provided to the affected people.
Besides, the chief minister said the state government was mulling to set up a Border Protection Force and a Border Development Council.
Gogoi also assured the delegation that his government would urge the Supreme Court for early settlement of the vexed border issue between Assam and Nagaland.
Violence erupted along the Sector B of Assam-Nagaland border last week that killed nine people and left over 10,000 people homeless on the Assam side of the border.