After a long struggle, Thackeray's Shiv Sena, in alliance with BJP, succeeded in snatching power from Congress in 1995. The Shiv Sena-BJP government ruled Maharashtra from 1995-99.
Bal Thackeray is one of those controversial politicians of India who is blamed for fanning communal and regional chauvinism in Maharashtra. But he is a force to reckon with in Maharashtra politics.
In his early days, Bal Thackeray targeted Gujaratis, Marwaris, and southern Indians in Mumbai for grabbing jobs and depriving native Mumbaikars of their livelihood.
After that he championed the cause of aggressive Hindutva and targeted Muslims for their alleged anti- Hindu mindset. Recently, his party targeted North Indians, especially those belonging to UP and Bihar, for infiltrating Mumbai and snatching jobs from the natives.
Bal thackeray's nephew Raj Thackeray used to be his lieutenant not very long ago but he parted ways with Bal Thackeray when the senior Thackeray decided to anoint his son Uddhav as the second-in-command of Shiv Sena. Today, Raj is heading his own party – Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS).
Thackeray family has played an important in Maharashtra Politics right from the days of separate statehood movement.
For last few days, Bal Thackeray's health has deteriorated and he was on oxygen support till the last report came in.
It's time to take a look at the family background of Bal Thackeray who has dominated the politics of Mumbai for more than last two decades now.
From Our Network
- Meet Angoorlata Deka, the actress-turned-MLA from Assam
- Akshay Kumar talks on why Hollywood is difficult for actors than it is for actresses
- Rishi Kapoor gives epic reply to Congress supporters who named a Sulabh toilet after him
- Comedy Nights Bachao: Racist jokes on Lisa Haydon make Akshay Kumar angry
- Varun Dhawan and Alia Bhatt are shedding tears over the death of this popular character