After a long struggle, Thackeray's Shiv Sena, in alliance with BJP, succeeded in snatching power from Congress in 1995. The Shiv Sena-BJP government ruled Maharashtra from 1995-99.
Bal Thackeray is one of those controversial politicians of India who is blamed for fanning communal and regional chauvinism in Maharashtra. But he is a force to reckon with in Maharashtra politics.
In his early days, Bal Thackeray targeted Gujaratis, Marwaris, and southern Indians in Mumbai for grabbing jobs and depriving native Mumbaikars of their livelihood.
After that he championed the cause of aggressive Hindutva and targeted Muslims for their alleged anti- Hindu mindset. Recently, his party targeted North Indians, especially those belonging to UP and Bihar, for infiltrating Mumbai and snatching jobs from the natives.
Bal thackeray's nephew Raj Thackeray used to be his lieutenant not very long ago but he parted ways with Bal Thackeray when the senior Thackeray decided to anoint his son Uddhav as the second-in-command of Shiv Sena. Today, Raj is heading his own party – Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS).
Thackeray family has played an important in Maharashtra Politics right from the days of separate statehood movement.
For last few days, Bal Thackeray's health has deteriorated and he was on oxygen support till the last report came in.
It's time to take a look at the family background of Bal Thackeray who has dominated the politics of Mumbai for more than last two decades now.
From Our Network
- After photoshop fiasco, TMC in soup as BJP, Left threatens legal action
- If US, Iran can end hostilities, why not India, Pak: Mehbooba Mufti
- Arvind Kejriwal, Mamata Banerjee meet in Delhi ahead of Bihar polls
- Uttarakhand crisis: Nainital HC allows Speaker’s counsel to argue today in disqualification case
- BJP manipulated EVMs in Gujarat civic polls, says Congress
- Why doesn’t farmers’ suicide trouble you as much as Pratyusha’s, asks Nana Patekar
- 'Find Your Beautiful': Radhika Apte explains real meaning of beauty
- Actor Harshvardhan Rane finds it challenging to romance three heroines in 'Maaya'
- Shah Rukh Khan is really impressed with his 'Raees' co-stars
- Kapil Sharma returns tonight: 5 reasons that make the first episode special