After a long struggle, Thackeray's Shiv Sena, in alliance with BJP, succeeded in snatching power from Congress in 1995. The Shiv Sena-BJP government ruled Maharashtra from 1995-99.
Bal Thackeray is one of those controversial politicians of India who is blamed for fanning communal and regional chauvinism in Maharashtra. But he is a force to reckon with in Maharashtra politics.
In his early days, Bal Thackeray targeted Gujaratis, Marwaris, and southern Indians in Mumbai for grabbing jobs and depriving native Mumbaikars of their livelihood.
After that he championed the cause of aggressive Hindutva and targeted Muslims for their alleged anti- Hindu mindset. Recently, his party targeted North Indians, especially those belonging to UP and Bihar, for infiltrating Mumbai and snatching jobs from the natives.
Bal thackeray's nephew Raj Thackeray used to be his lieutenant not very long ago but he parted ways with Bal Thackeray when the senior Thackeray decided to anoint his son Uddhav as the second-in-command of Shiv Sena. Today, Raj is heading his own party – Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS).
Thackeray family has played an important in Maharashtra Politics right from the days of separate statehood movement.
For last few days, Bal Thackeray's health has deteriorated and he was on oxygen support till the last report came in.
It's time to take a look at the family background of Bal Thackeray who has dominated the politics of Mumbai for more than last two decades now.
From Our Network
- Humour has vanished from public discourse: PM Modi takes a dig at ‘intolerance’
- Tulsidasji, pranaam – writes ‘prodigal’ science topper Ruby Rai during re-test
- Pak PM Sharif wrote to 17 countries to scuttle India's NSG bid: Aziz
- Turkey president apologises to Vladmir Putin over death of Russian Pilot
- Post her divorce, Karisma Kapoor is eager for comeback on silver screen