New Delhi: The Paralympic committee of India has been suspended by world governing body over infighting within the body and shoddy treatment to athletes in Ghaziabad last month.
According to a letter written by the International Paralympic Committee on April 15 and sent by email to PCI, the suspension is for an indefinite period of time and it's the third time that the Indian body has been suspended by the world body.
In the letter, the International Paralympic Committee CEO Xavier Gonzalez said: "The situation in PCI has been chaotic for several years now, which is mostly due to individual conflicts at the national level between different groups and persons ... and the situation does not bring any positive outcome for the athletes."
Following an inquiry, the sports ministry on Friday also issued a show-cause notice to PCI, asking the National Sports Federation (NSF) why it should not be derecognised.
Due to the suspension, Indian athletes will not be able to participate in any world events till ban is lifted. The world blind Games take place in South Korea next month and it will be a big shame as it looks unlikely India will participate in that. The Paralympic committee of India is also reported to face derecognition from the Indian government too.
Last week, the PCI had suspended its president Rajesh Tomar after the nationals in Ghaziabad were totally mismanaged. During the championship, differently abled athletes were put up in partially built buildings without basic amenities like drinking water and toilets.
"We are shocked at this harsh decision. We will ask the world body not to stop our athletes. We have suspended our president and we will explain our position," PCI secretary-general Chandrashekhar told a news channel.