Unlike last year, when a major chunk of seats in a few colleges were filled on the very first day, there was still a lot of breathing space left after day one.
At Sri Ram College of Commerce (SRCC), 223 students took admissions on B Com (hons) course against 501 seats, while 55 students reported for the 123 seats in the Economics course.
SRCC Principal termed the response as ‘wonderful' and said he expected more activity in the upcoming two days.
Hans Raj college saw a little over 150 admissions, most of them in B Com (hons). While 50 of the 200 seats were taken in the Commerce course, only 17 of the 100 seats were filled on the first day in Economics.
“Most of the admissions took place in Commerce and Economics today. Subjects in the Arts and Science streams saw up to 90 and 50 registrations respectively,” said Hans Raj Principal V K Kawatra.
Numbers were the same in other colleges, with Hindu college that set this time's highest cut-off percentage of 99.25 per cent taking up to 152 admissions on the first day. Officials pointed out that last year's admissions took place in the absence of pre-admission forms and the first day rush of 2011 can be attributed to this fact.
The colleges will continue taking admissions for two more days before declaring their second cut off lists on June 29.
Officials at Dyal Singh college said 300 students reported on the first day of admissions but not all could be admitted as many forms were not complete. The maximum rush was expectedly for Commerce and Economics courses.
Officials at the Lady Sri Ram college did not divulge the numbers but said English, Political Science, Psychology and History were the major draw.
While there was no 100 per cent cut off figure announced this year, the required percentages were quite high, in some colleges more than last year's.
The colleges were cautious in announcing high cut offs so as to not take excessive
admissions in the first round. The cut offs are expected to come down in the subsequent rounds of admissions.
Following a second cut-off on June 29, another three cut off percentages will be declared on July 3, July 6 and July 10. Further lists and conversions of OBC seats, if required, will be notified later, the University has said.
Last year, the 100 per cent cut off had sparked a major outcry, prompting even the HRD Minister Kapil Sibal to intervene and ask the Vice Chancellor to look into the issue.
This year before the admission season began, Sibal again assured students seeking admission in Delhi university that there would be “no problem” of the kind they faced last year when the cut-off touched 100 per cent.