Supreme Court judges Kurian Joseph, J.Chelameswar, Ranjan Gogoi and Madan Lokur addressed the media on Friday and pointed out 'several irregularities happening within the apex court'. Putting forth their opinions in the public domain for the first time, one of the judges, Justice J Chelameswar, said "four of us are convinced that for the survival of democracy, an impartial judge and judiciary is needed."
Here are Key Highlights of the Press Conference -
1. There is an issue of assignment of a case which is raised in that letter (to CJI): Justice Ranjan Gogoi, on being asked further if it is about CBI Judge BH Loya, he said, 'yes.'
2. All 4 of us are convinced that unless this institution (Supreme Court) is preserved & it maintains its equanimity, democracy will survive in this country, or any country: Supreme Court Judge J Chelameswar
3. Nobody is breaking any ranks here, says Justice Madan Lokur
4. It's not a sign of protest, but think of it as a sign of our responsibility towards the nation: Justice Ranjan Gogoi
5. "The independence of the judiciary is the hallmark of any democracy": SC Judge J Chelameswar
6. We collectively tried to persuade CJI that certain things aren't in order so take remedial measures but unfortunately our efforts failed: Justice J.Chelameswar
7. We don't want nation to blame us after 20 years that four of us did not take care: Justice Chelameshwar
8. With no pleasure we are compelled take the decision to call a press conference. The administration of the SC is not in order & many things which are less than desirable have happened in last few months, says Justice J Chelameswar.
9. Four of us thought that it was our responsibility to the institution and to the nation to persuade the chief justice that things are not in order but we failed to convince him: SC Judge J.Chelameswar
10. Our efforts have failed, India's democracy is in danger, says SC Judge J Chelameswar
11. Let the nation decide that: Justice J.Chelameswar on if the CJI should be impeached, says SC Judge J Chelameswar
12. The CJI has left us with no option but to go public about what is going on within the Collegium, says Justice Chelameswar
13. With no pleasure we are compelled take the decision to call a press conference. The administration of the SC is not in order & many things which are less than desirable have happened in last few months: Justice J Chelameswar
WATCH FULL VIDEO HERE: