Cows are once again in the headline because of the recent report submitted by centre to supreme court which says "each cow and its progeny across India should get a Unique Identification Number for tracking". Famous quote by George Orwell “All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others” appears to be the apt description for the present scenario. Nobody in their sane mind will be against the well-being of animals but why should only cows have all the privilege.
Special treatment to the cows might cause resentment in other animals. Amidst all the controversy that cow vigilantism has generated in human life this recommendation by government has the tendency to create rifts in the animal kingdom as well.
Let us keep aside other species for a moment and venture into the world of cows to see how they will be affected with this new initiative.
- Happiest of all will be the young male western breeds who were always privileged because of their social status. Now they can flaunt their UIDs and boast about the significance of their breed.
- Their female counterparts will be as usual milked manually or with machines for the satisfaction of human. They are very much aware of their fate if they didn’t give milk, more or less similar to the female foeticide of human race, they will end up in a butcher’s shop. So they keep silent and give milk.
- Older and wiser cows who do not end up in the butcher shop are cognizant of the struggle they will continue to face like the human veterans who fight for OROP or wait for their pensions until they die. Before that happens they will have depend on the gracious gesture shown by humans when they throw their garbage wrapped in plastic bags.
- As usual indigenous cow breeds will remain as they are and given the lip service whenever required. They will be hailed during pujas or rituals just like the middle class of human race who become very important during elections. After that they will be left to look after themselves, roam the streets and eat whatever they can manage while being milked in return. Almost similar to the taxes that the middle class humans pay for the promises that the politicians make during elections.
- We can thus conclude by saying neither the humans nor the cows are having fun. It is the politicians irrespective of the party lines who are meant to serve are the ones having all the fun at the expense of everyone.