Amazon founder Jeff Bezos has become the world's first-ever $200 billionaire. Well, you may that the world's richest person is wealthier than he's ever been. His net worth cleared the record $200 billion mark on Wednesday when shares of his online shopping company reached $3,403.64. Around $82 billion of his net worth was added this year after e-commerce and contactless purchasing got a push during the pandemic.
As of 9 am on Thursday, the Amazon founder and CEO is worth $205.0 billion—nearly $90 billion more than the world's second-richest person, Microsoft founder Bill Gates, who's currently worth $116.1 billion.
Bezos's net worth is up by $4.9 billion, making the 56-year-old the first-ever person to amass a $200 billion fortune. According to Forbes, the person who came closest to Bezos was Bill Gates. When Microsoft reached its then-peak in 1999, Gates' net worth surpassed $100 billion, roughly $158 billion in today's dollars.
Forbes said Bezos would be even richer had he not gone through the "most expensive" divorce settlement in history last year. While he decided to split from ex-wife MacKenzie Scott last July, he agreed to give her 25% of his Amazon stake, a chunk of stock now worth $63 billion. Despite giving away $1.7 billion in charitable gifts earlier this year, Scott is currently the world's 14th richest person and second-richest woman.
Jeff Bezos: Interesting Facts
- Born in Albuquerque, raised in Houston and later Miami, Bezos graduated from Princeton University in 1986 with a degree in electrical engineering and computer science.
- Bezos worked on Wall Street in a variety of related fields from 1986 to early 1994.
- He founded Amazon in late 1994 on a cross-country road trip from New York City to Seattle.
- Amazon began as an online bookstore. Today Amazon is the world's most enviable e-com giant.
- It also has earned massive success in video and audio streaming, cloud computing, and AI apart from product and services. It is currently the world's largest online sales company, the largest Internet company by revenue, and the world's largest provider of virtual assistants and cloud infrastructure services through its Amazon Web Services branch.
- Jeff Bezos also owns the Washington Post newspaper.
- He also owns aerospace company Blue Origin and has several other investments.
TOP 10 BILLIONAIRES
(According to Forbes RealTime Billionaires List at 9.00 am on Thursday)
|BERNARD ARNAULT AND FAMILY||$115.0B|