Over sixty per cent of the nearly 1.84 crore voters today turned to cast their votes in the fourth phase of Assembly elections in Uttar Pradesh.
60.37 per cent average polling was recorded in 53 Assembly constituencies of 12 districts, the Election Commission said adding that the turnout percentage is likely to touch 63 per cent as, till 5 PM, several people were still in queues waiting for their turn to vote.
53 constituencies in 12 districts went for elections in phase four.
The districts are -- Rae Bareli, Pratapgarh, Kaushambi, Allahabad, Jalaun, Jhansi, Lalitpur, Mahoba, Banda, Hamirpur, Chitrakoot and Fatehpur. Backward and water-scarce Bundelkhand region also figures in this phase.
The poll percentage was 59.9 per cent in the corresponding seats in the 2012 assembly elections and 57.1 per cent in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, Deputy Election Commissioner Vijay Dev, in charge of Uttar Pradesh, told reporters here.
With poll machinery in the state keeping up the pressure on anti-social elements, Rs 13.49 crore in cash and 3.26 lakh litres of liquor worth Rs 8.17 crore was seized in run up to this phase.
So far, a total of Rs 201 crore has been seized in cash and kind including liquor, drugs and precious metals -- all used to influence voters.
So far, Rs 112.5 crore in cash, 19.78 lakh litres of liquor worth Rs 56.05 crore, Rs 7.41 crore worth of drugs, and Rs 25.15 crore worth of precious metals including gold and silver have been seized by election authorities from across Uttar Pradesh.
He said a "pre-poll" incident of violence was reported last night from Mahoba where SP and BSP workers had clashed, leaving two injured.
While two of the accused have been arrested, the two undergoing treatment in hospital will also be placed under arrest. The SHO and chowki in charge of the police station concerned have been suspended.
680 candidates were in the fray in the fourth phase. The maximum number of 26 candidates are in Allahabad North, while only six candidates are in fray in Khaga (Fatehpur), Manjhanpur (Kaushambi) and Kunda (Pratapgarh).
In 2012 polls, out of the 53 seats in this phase, Samajwadi Party had won 24, BJP 5, Bahujan Samaj Party 15, Congress 6 and 'others' 3.
Prominent contestants include sitting MLA Aradhana Mishra from Rampur Khas (Pratapgarh), the daughter of Congress MP Pramod Tiwari, and Independent MLA and minister Raghuraj Pratap Singh alias Raja Bhaiya, who is again contesting from his traditional Kunda (Pratapgarh) seat.
In Rae Bareli, Aditi Singh is contesting on Congress ticket, BSP turncoat Swami Prasad Maurya's son Utkarsh Maurya is in fray from Unchahar seat, while Leader of Opposition Gaya Charan Dinkar is contesting from Naraini (Banda) seat.
Senior SP leader Reoti Raman Singh's son Ujjwal Raman Singh is in the race from Karchana (Allahabad) seat.
Elections for UP legislative assembly are being held in seven phases with three more -- February 27, March 4 and 8 -- to follow today's polling. Election results will be out on March 11.
* 60.37 per cent average polling in 53 Assembly constituencies of 12 districts: Election Commission
* 50.37 per cent voter turnout in fourth phase of UP Polls till 3 PM.
* Over 40 pc turnout till 2 pm in phase-IV of UP polls
* Voter turnout till 1 PM is 39 per cent
* 24.6 pc voting recorded till 11 am
* 10.23 pc voter turnout recorded till 9 am (Banda: 12.2 pc, Rae Bareli: 9.5 pc, Fatehpur: 9.8 pc, Jalaun: 8.66 pc)
* Union Minister Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti after casting her vote in Hamirpur
* Clash between SP and BSP supporters in Mahoba,reports ANI. Four, including Samajwadi Party candidate Siddhgopal Sahu’s son, injured.
* Voting has still not started in booth no 481 in Jalaun as the EVM machine is not working
* Voting for fourth phase of Uttar Pradesh assembly elections begins