In Delhi's Mukherjee Nagar, a large number of people mainly from the Sikh community continued to protest against the thrashing of auto driver Sarabjeet Singh and his son by police, on Sunday. The area remained tense. Security has been beefed up in the area.
Here's what has happened
- On Sunday evening, a brawl took place between Sarabjeet Singh and policemen at northwest Delhi's Mukherjee Nagar.
- It went viral on social media.
- A number of people gathered outside the police station. They demanded sacking of all the cops who were involved in the alleged incident.
- In a video clip from Sunday night, an ACP-rank officer could be seen being chased by protestors outside the Mukherjee Nagar police station. He had gone there to pacify the protesters.
#WATCH Delhi: Shalimar Bagh Police Station ACP, KG Tyagi was beaten up by protesters yesterday after an auto driver Sarabjit Singh and his son were thrashed by police in Mukherjee Nagar. (Note - Abusive language) pic.twitter.com/WZ1vuZBjNO— ANI (@ANI) June 17, 2019
Delhi: People continue to protest in Mukherjee Nagar against the thrashing of auto driver Sarabjeet Singh and his son by Police, yesterday. Heavy security at the spot. pic.twitter.com/rpsjKJ4hWl— ANI (@ANI) June 17, 2019
- For their unprofessional conduct in handling the matter, three policemen including two assistant sub inspectors have been suspended, police said.
- Cross FIRs have been registered based on the statements of the police personnel and the tempo driver.
- The case was also transferred to the Crime Branch.
- Joint Commissioner of Police (Northern Range) Manish Kumar Agarwal is separately conducting a detailed inquiry into the matter.
- In one of the purported videos, the tempo driver was seen chasing the policemen with a sword.
- In another video, cops were seen thrashing the driver and overpowering him.
- The police said the altercation between took place after the tempo driver's vehicle collided with a police van.
#WATCH Shiromani Akali Dal MLA, Manjinder Singh Sirsa, manhandled by protesters in Mukherjee Nagar during a protest against the thrashing of auto driver Sarabjeet Singh and his son by Police. (Note: abusive language) #Delhi pic.twitter.com/55dXaRz53x— ANI (@ANI) June 17, 2019
Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal on the incident where an auto-driver was allegedly thrashed by policemen in Mukherjee Nagar area yesterday: It's an unfortunate incident. We condemn the incident. I appeal to the LG&Home Minister to take strict action against the accused police officers. pic.twitter.com/HVKHbKnJLv— ANI (@ANI) June 17, 2019
WATCH VIDEO: Delhi Policemen brutally thrash auto driver in Mukherjee Nagar