Gujarat gets Rs 444.44 crore to conserve Sabarmati riverAhmedabad: The Central government has approved a grant of Rs 444.44 crore for the second phase of Sabarmati River Conservation Project.As per the approval, 70 per cent of the cost (Rs 311.72 crore) would be
Ahmedabad: The Central government has approved a grant of Rs 444.44 crore for the second phase of Sabarmati River Conservation Project.
As per the approval, 70 per cent of the cost (Rs 311.72 crore) would be borne by the Centre, while the remaining 30 per cent (Rs 132.72 crore) would be borne jointly by the Gujarat government and Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC), according to an official press release issued.
Earlier, the Centre had granted Rs 90 crore for phase-1 of the project to construct 22 km of sewage network, two terminal pumping stations, two sewage treatment plants, as many crematoria and five toilets.
Phase-2 of the project includes construction of drainage lines at Pirana, Vasna and Chandrabhaga areas as well as setting up a sewage treatment plant (STP) at the cantonment area at a cumulative cost of Rs 176 crore, the release said.
Rs 115 crore would be spent for new sewage lines for Meghaninagar, Chiloda, Hathijan, Vasna and Nikol whereas Rs 42 crore would be spent on a new pumping plant at Vastral, and Rs 70 crore would be spent to repair old sewage lines.
The project would be executed as per provisions of the Central Public Health Engineering Environment Organisation's revised guidelines, the release said.
Phase-2 of the project is primarily aimed at stopping all kinds of untreated liquid sewage waste from being released directly into the Sabarmati river.