13 facts about IPL that will surely leave you surprisedIPL has been surrounded by some exceptional facts and incidents, some of which are actually jaw-dropping. Lets take a look at some of them.
New Delhi: The cash-rich Indian Premier League, since its inception in 2008, has continued its dominance over other T20 leagues. The tournament has gained popularity among cricket fans to such an extent that it is considered to be the most profitable cricket event.
The league has not only helped hundreds of cricketers establish themselves as T20 players but has also been surrounded by some exceptional facts and incidents, some of which are actually jaw-dropping. Lets take a look at some of them.
1. Chennai Super Kings is the only IPL franchise that has not changed its skipper since beginning. Mahendra Singh Dhoni has been the captain of the side since 2008. Following Chennai’s suspension for two years, he is now the skipper of Rising Pune Supergiants.
2. Chennai Super Kings has lost for the maximum number of times in the finals of the league. They lost in the final clash of IPL 2008, 2012 and 2013.
3. Suresh Raina is the only player to play all the matches played by a franchise. He has also scored most runs in Indian Premier League – 3909 runs in 139 matches.
4. Delhi Daredevils is the only IPL franchise that has never qualified for the finals.
5. Gautam Gambhir holds a very interesting record. He has the most number of half centuries (29) and has also been bowled out for a duck 11 times – second highest after Harbhajan Singh (12).
6. The journey for Delhi Daredevils in IPL has been a bit disappointing. They have finished three times at the bottom of the standings – 2011, 2013 and 2014.
7. Yusuf Pathan has been a part of the winning team in the IPL for a maximum three times. In 2008, he played for Rajasthan Royals and in 2012, 2014 he played for the champions Kolkata Knight Riders.
8. These are the six players who have won purple and orange caps despite their teams failing to reach the finals of the league. Purple Cap: Pragyan Ojha (Deccan Chargers, 2010), Morne Morkel (Delhi Daredevils, 2012), Mohit Sharma (Chennai Super Kings, 2014) Orange Cap: Chris Gayle (Royal Challengers Bangalore, 2011), Shaun Marsh (Kings XI Punjab, 2008), Matthew Hayden (Chennai Super Kings, 2009)
9. In the fourth season of IPL, Lasith Malinga scalped 28 wickets in 16 matches – maximum by any bowler in a season.
10. Sarfaraz Khan was just 10 years old when Indian Premier League began in 2008. He is now 17 years old and is playing for Royal Challengers Bangalore along with cricketing superstars like Virat Kohli, AB de Villiers and Chris Gayle.
11. Piyush Chawla is the only bowler in IPL who has never bowled a no-ball. Having bowled more than 385 overs in his IPL career, he has also conceded the maximum number of sixes.
12. Parthiv Patel has played for six different franchises – Chennai Super Kings (2010), Kochi Tuskers Kerala (2011), Deccan Chargers (2012), Sunrisers Hyderabad (2013), Royal Challengers Bangalore (2014) and Mumbai Indians (2015)
13. Manish Pandey and Robin Uthappa both have played for four different IPL teams. But surprisingly, they both have been in the same team for all the nine seasons.