Gujarat tops the sale of Petroleum Products while Bihar is at the bottom in Per capita Sale in the last 7 yearPetroleum products such as LPG, Diesel & Petrol are used by most Indians every day. Even industry uses certain petroleum products. But, India's self sufficiency in petroleum products hasn't gone beyond 25% in the last
Petroleum products such as LPG, Diesel & Petrol are used by most Indians every day. Even industry uses certain petroleum products. But, India's self sufficiency in petroleum products hasn't gone beyond 25% in the last few years.
Diesel is consumed the most
The following different types of petroleum products are consumed in India :-
- Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG)
- Motor Spirit (Commonly known as Petrol)
- High Speed Diesel
- Natural Gas Liquid (Naptha)
- Aviation Turbine Fuel
- Superior Kerosene Oil
- Light Diesel Oil
- Furnace Oil
- Petroleum Coke
From the data available with the Petroleum Planning & Analysis Cell (PPAC), LPG, Petrol & Diesel make up for more than 60% of the consumption of all the petroleum consumption in India. All the other products make up the remaining 40%. Consumption of Diesel is the highest as expected since most of the public transport (and transport of goods) runs on Diesel. The consumption of Diesel has been steadily rising since 2009-10. In 2013-14, the consumption stood at 43% compared to 41% in 2009-10. The consumption of LPG is more or less constant at 10% of the total consumption. The consumption of Petrol has also steadily increased from 9% of the total in 2009-10 to 11% in 2013-14.
Self Sufficiency at less than 25%
It is a known fact that India imports bulk of crude oil to meet its energy needs. From the figures available with the PPAC, India's self sufficiency has not gone beyond 25% in the last 5 years. The self sufficiency in 2009-10 was 22.7%. This went up to 25% in the following year (2010-11). But since 2011-12, the percentage of self sufficiency has consistently come down to 22.4% in 2013-14. This is partly attributed to the fact that production could not keep pace with ever increasing consumption.
Region wise Sales – West & South on Top Per Capita Sales
If region wise sale of petroleum products is considered, then the sales in the North are highest followed by West, South, East and North East respectively. The sale in the North is highest because North comprises of a large number of states. The sale in the North is almost 15 times the sale in the North East and twice the sale of East & North East Combined. The growth of sales in the North has been the highest between 2008-09 and 2014-15.
But when it comes to per capita sale of petroleum products (Total Sale/ Population as per 2011 Census), the Western region comes on the top followed by the South. The per capita sale of petroleum products Both the West & South are substantially higher than the national average while the North is only slightly higher than the national average. The per capita sale in the East & North East is almost half of the national average.
State wise Sales – Gujarat tops in sales, Haryana in per capita sales
In terms of absolute sales (as an average of sales from 2008-09 to 2014-15), Gujarat tops the list with 16748 thousand metric tonne of sales followed by Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh & Andhra Pradesh (including Telangana). States that have more Industries have seen the most sales of petroleum products. States like Haryana in the North, Gujarat & Maharashtra in the West, Tamil Nadu in the south are among the top states in terms of absolute sales. Though Haryana is a smaller state compared to the other states, it is in the top ten in terms of the sale of petroleum products.
When it comes to per capita sales (Average Sale from 2008-09 to 2014-15 / Population as per 2011 Census), Haryana is on the top with 347 followed by Chandigarh. Some of the smaller UTs have a high per capita sale, largely because of lower population. Highly Industrialized states like Haryana, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, and Maharashtra are part of the top ten. Bihar has the least per capita sale of petroleum products. The per capita sale in Haryana in almost 10 times the per capita sale in Bihar.
- RTI Reply from PPAC
- Data from the Website of PPAC.
(Indiaspend.org is a data-driven, public-interest journalism non-profit)