Madrid: Spain striker Fernando Torres is confident that his country can continue their incredible winning run in major tournaments when the World Cup kicks off June 12.
Torres scored the goal which set Spain on their way to a run of two European Championships and the 2010 World Cup, when he scored the only goal of the game in the 2008 European Championship final against Germany, reports Xinhua.
Since then he has formed part of every Spain squad in major tournaments, performing with differing fortunes in the 2010 World Cup, where he was struggling with an ankle injury, and in the 2012 European Championships where he was top scorer in the competition.
His poor season in England and his continued lack of goals with Chelsea had raised doubts over his presence in Brazil, but Spain coach Vicente del Bosque has once again kept faith with the striker, who had not played for his country for almost a year.
"We are favourites, we've earned it," explained the striker confidently, before discussing his own place in the squad.
"The way to go to a World Cup is to do well for your team because only by playing well are you going to have a chance. Then you have to think about what the players have given to the national team and what they can do," said Torres in an interview in Saturday's issue of sports paper Marca.
"There are regular players who you know are going to perform and others who have not played as much, but they can adapt," he added.
Torres explained his year's absence from the Spain team to "various injuries which have coincided with games...but you have to be prepared. If you lose concentration you stop playing big games for your club and then you don't know when you will get the chance."
"I was fortunate enough to have a good end to the season and this is the reward," commented the former Liverpool and Atletico Madrid forward.
Torres explained that he had continued training after the English season finished May 10, adding that he had not planned any holidays. Nevertheless, he had been nervous when coach Vicente del Bosque had published the list of players who had been chosen.
"I knew it was complicated after the year I had. I was very nervous as I really wanted to come, because I was feeling fit and motivated and because I want to defend everything we have won in the past six years," he said.