Asia Cup is one of the prestigious tournaments in the world of cricket which started back in 1984. The first edition of this tournament was held in UAE under the name Rothmans Asia Cup. Since then this tournament has been organized 14 times till 2018. The upcoming 2022 edition is set to start on the 27th of August in UAE.
In the tournament, India's squad has been the most successful among all the countries, so far. They registered titles in their name as many as 7 times. On the other hand, Sri Lanka have won the Asia Cup trophy five times and Pakistan won it twice.
Following is the list of the top five wicket-takers in the Asia Cup from 1984 to 2018 -
- Lasith Malinga (Sri Lanka) - 33 wickets
- Muttiah Muralitharan (Sri Lanka) - 30 wickets
- Ajantha Mendis (Sri Lanka) - 26 wickets
- Saeed Ajmal (Pakistan) - 25 wickets
- Shakib Al Hasan (Bangladesh) - 24 wickets
Following is the list of the top five run-scorers in the Asia Cup from 1984 to 2018 -
- Sanath Jayasuriya (Sri Lanka) – 1220
- Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka) – 1075
- Sachin Tendulkar (India) - 971
- Shoaib Malik (Pakistan) - 907
- Rohit Sharma (India) - 883
So far this tournament has been organized 13 out of 14 times in the ODI format. It was organized only once in the T20 format in the year 2016 and will be organized once again in the shortest format in 2022.