Dhaka: Bangladeshi cricketer Rubel Hossain today got a clean chit in an alleged rape case filed by an aspiring actress as the police, in its final report, sought acquittal of the ‘country's world cup hero'. Police told Dhaka's Chief Metropolitan Court that they found no proof of the charges the 19-year-old actress brought against 25-year-old Hossain.
In its final report submitted today, police also sought the acquittal of Hossain, who had claimed four wickets against England on March 9 which helped Bangladesh enter its maiden World Cup quarter-final.
Investigating officer Inspector Halima Khatun filed her findings before the court, bdnews24.com reported. The court is scheduled to hold a hearing on the report on April 13.
Hossain's lawyer Moniruzzaman said he would appear before the court during the hearing and seek exemption. He has been denying the allegations, saying that the actress was ‘blackmailing' him. He had spent three days in jail before securing bail.
The actress had filed the case in December last year, accusing the fast bowler of backing off from marriage after being intimate with her for months.
She had said last month that she was withdrawing the charges against the fast bowler, a day after his match-winning performance against England.
The actress then moved the High Court seeking expulsion of Hossain from the World Cup squad, but her plea was rejected. Hossain made his debut in international cricket in 2009 and has so far appeared in 22 Tests, 53 ODIs and 11 Twenty20 internationals.