India Vs Australia 2018 2019
  1. You Are At:
  2. Home
  3. Sports News
  4. Cricket News
  5. Australia's World Cup stars to miss final few weeks of IPL 2019

Australia's World Cup stars to miss final few weeks of IPL 2019

Cricket Australia said that the players involved in Australia's World Cup squad will have to report for a preparatory camp ahead of the 2019 World Cup in England and Wales.

Written by: India TV Sports Desk, New Delhi [ Published on: November 15, 2018 9:37 IST ]
Image Source : @CRICKETCOMAU

Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood's participation in IPL 2019 has come under doubts

Cricket Australia announced on Thursday that members of their World Cup squad will not be allowed to stay the full duration of the 2019 Indian Premier League.

There has been a lot of speculation regarding the availability of the top active players around the world in IPL 12 as the World Cup starts right after the tournament ends. But CA took the step to clarify that their top players will miss the last two or three weeks of the tournament in order to prepare themselves at the pre-tournament camp.

There has been no official confirmation regarding the dates of the cash-rich tournament but it is believed that it will start earlier as scheduled and could finish as early as May 19 to help players report to their national sides for the World Cup in England and Wales, starting on May 30.

An early start to the IPL also means that it will clash with the end of Australia's domestic season as well as their ODI series against Pakistan in late March.

CA also clarified that players won't be allowed to skip their JLT Sheffield Shield duties in order to take part in the IPL.

Australian players require No Objection Certificate (NOC) to play in the IPL and according to CA, they will provide them once the Sheffield Shield duties are over. If rumours are to be believed, then the IPL could start on March 23 and that means it will clash with the Shield final (on March 28-April 1) and possibly the final round of the Shield on March 20-23.

CA added that players, who will be named in Australia's squad for their series against Pakistan, will also not be released until the series is over.

The cricket body's timely announcement gives the franchises enough time to chalk out their plans and buy accordingly in the player auction next month, which has also been preponed.

"It is a difficult period with the IPL being brought forward to accommodate the Cricket World Cup, and overlapping our domestic season.

"We are committed to respecting the position of the Sheffield Shield, while ensuring Australia's World Cup squad is well prepared for this critical world event, while also ensuring those that are fit to play have the opportunity to participate in the IPL," said CA's Interim EGM Team Performance, Belinda Clark.

"It is imperative that we ensure Australia is in the best possible position as we head into the Cricket World Cup and the 2019 Ashes series. This means prioritising our focus on match readiness and the health of our players," Clarke added.

Australia's leading pacers have opted to skip the IPL time and again and many have also backed out at the last moment due to injury or saving themselves from extra workload.

Earlier this year, both Mitchell Starc and Pat Cummins fetched lucrative deals from Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) and Mumbai Indians but they were forced to withdraw before the tournament began.

Following which, KKR decided to let Starc go and informed him via text message that he is being released from his contract.

Former Australia opener Simon Katich, who is a part of the coaching staff at KKR, said that franchises are now wary of signing Australian bowlers.

"In the past few years, a lot of the Australian quicks haven't gone to the IPL or pulled out late. 

"As a result, the IPL franchises are across this now they're wary (of) it. A lot of the decisions coming up in the IPL auction in December will be based around the World Cup and those guys who are available, particularly around the quicks," Katich told SEN.

"We knew it was a big risk (for KKR to buy Starc). He didn't come and as a result, it affected the whole dynamic of the squad," he added.

He also went on to say that the Australian bowlers no longer have the advantage of asking for big money because of their recent withdrawals and actions.

"The IPL franchises will protect themselves going forward. And a lot of the Australian quicks might not have that same bargaining chip up their sleeve as they once did now that this has unfolded and Cricket Australia might be able to hold firm with that," Katich said.

Write a comment

Election 2018

Live Scorecard