Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal's former Principal Secretary, Rajendra Kumar, who was arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in connection with a corruption case, has accused the premier probe agency of humiliating him on many occasions and has now sought voluntary retirement.
In a 26-page letter, addressed to Delhi Chief Secretary MM Kutty on Wednesday, Kumar quoted rules to plead that his request be accepted within three weeks.
Kumar, a 1989-batch IAS officer, said that he had never experienced the kind of utter ‘disregard’ for system, process, protocol, transparency, decency which he had experienced first-hand in his own case.
Kumar even claimed that he was repeatedly told by the interrogators to implicate CM Kejriwal.
"I was repeatedly told that I would be let free if I implicate Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal. This was the reason for the agency to go to such extraordinary length," he said.
"Not only this, the CBI just to force people to implicate me and the Chief Minister, has beaten up dozens of people and some of them sustained permanent major injuries," Kumar alleged.
The voluntary retirement request from Kumar comes a month after being chargesheeted by the CBI in an alleged graft case.
The officer, who was Principal Secretary to the Chief Minister at the time of his arrest in July last year and subsequently suspended, claimed his troubles started soon after he was invited by Kejriwal to work with him in December 2013.
Reacting to the development, Kejriwal attacked Prime Minister Narendra Modi, saying ‘why the PM is so scared of us’.
"CBI raids my office, pressurises officer to implicate me. CBI raids Satyendar Jains office. Why are u so so scared of us Modi Ji? Chill (sic)," Kejriwal alleged in a tweet.
CBI had last month filed a chargesheet against Kumar for alleged criminal conspiracy, cheating and forgery under IPC besides provisions of Prevention of Corruption Act along with eight others and Endeavour Systems Pvt Ltd.
It was alleged by CBI in the FIR that the accused persons had entered into a criminal conspiracy and caused a loss of Rs 12 crore to the Delhi government in award of contracts between 2007 and 2015. The FIR had also claimed that the officials had taken "undue benefit" of over Rs 3 crore while awarding the contract.