Abhijit Banerjee, the Indian-American economist has been awarded Nobel prize for economics. Along with Abhijit Banerjee the Nobel has been awarded to Esther Duflo and Micheal Kremer.
Abhijit Banerjee is a distinguished and eminent economist. He is respected all over the world for his expertise in the field of Economics. Banerjee has even authored a book along with former Reserve Bank of India Governor Raghuram Rajan.
Abhijit Banerjee is already a distinguished and well-respected economist. The Nobel Prize is the latest feather in his hat no doubt. He has been honoured all the way.
Currently, Abhijit Banerjee is Ford Foundation International Professor of Economics at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He has previously taught in Harvard University and Princeton University.
Here is the list of honours conferred on Abhijit Banerjee previously
- Abhijit Banerjee was made a fellow of American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2004
- He won Mahalnobis Memorial Medal in the year 2000
- Abhijit Banerjee won Malcolm Adeshesiah Award in 2001
- Abhijit Banerjee was inducted into the prestigious Econometric Society in 1996
- Abhijit Banerjee was an IRIS scholar in the year 1993
- He got Gerald Loeb Award Honourable Mention for Business Book with co-author Esther Duflo for their book Poor Economics
- Abhijit Banerjee was a Guggenheim Fellow in 2000
- He was appointed by former UN Secretary General Ban-Ki-Moon on a panel that was tasked with updating Millennium Development Goals after 2015
- He was given MacArthur Foundation Grant from 1996-2002
- Abhijit Banerjee was a 'Distinguished Visitor' at Washington University in 2003
- Banerjee was awarded National Science Foundation Grant in 1995-98, 2002-2006
- Abhijit Banerjee was Alfred P Sloan Research Fellow between 1994 and 1996
- Abhijit Banerjee won Michael Wallerstein Award given by American Political Science Association in the year 2006
- Michael Wallerstein Award, American Political Science Association, 2006
- He won Infosys Award in Social Sciences in the year 2009
- Banerjee was included in Foreign Policy Magazine's Top 100 Global Thinkers list
- Abhijit Banerjee won Albert O. Hirschman Prize in the year 2014
- He won Bernhard Harms Prize awrded by Kiel Institute for the World Economy
- Abhijit Banerjee won Gabarron International Award for Economics in 2013
- He was declared Sherar Shera Bengali (Best of the Best Bengali) in 2012
- Abhijit Banerjee got BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Award for Development Cooperation in 2009
In addition to the honours above, Abhijit Banerjee has been invited by universities, think tanks and institutions world over to deliver lectures named after eminent personalities. Being invited to deliver such lectures in itself is a great honour. He has authored a great many books pertaining to economics. The books have become milestones in the field of Economics.