Gangster Vikas Dubey was killed early this morning in an encounter with police in Kanpur. Vikas Dubey tried to escape after the car in which he was being taken to court overturned, police said. His death was confirmed by the doctors at Hallet Hospital at 7.55 am today. UP STF's car carrying the criminal overturned when it was returning from Madhya Pradesh's Ujjain to Kanpur today. It was raining when the car reportedly toppled. According to police, four police personnel have also been injured in the incident and are being treated at CST Kalyanpur hospital. This is a big turn in Uttar Pradesh Police's largest gang takedown in its history. Dubey was a dreaded gangster who had political patronage at various levels.
Dubey was arrested yesterday (Thursday, June 9, 2020) from Ujjain's Mahakal Temple. He was being taken to Kanpur Court when the encounter took place.
- Vikas Dubey arrested on Thursday for killing 8 policemen, is dead.
- 'Doctors have confirmed' Kanpur gangster was dead, UP Police said.
- He was brought to Kanpur's Hallet hospital with bullet wounds. Doctors pronounced him dead.
- Police say Vikas Dubey tried to escape after the UP STF car carrying him overturned.
- Vikas Dubey attempted to flee by snatching pistol of the injured policemen after car overturned.
- He was killed in the encounter while trying to escape, UP Police has said.
- Police tried to make him surrender, during which he fired at the policemen. He was injured in retaliatory firing by police. He was later rushed to the hospital, SP Kanpur West said.
Vikas Dubey's encounter | Highlights
Uma Bharti has hailed the actions of the UP police.
Congress party has demanded judicial probe monitored by sitting Supreme Court judge into the episode involving gangster Vikas Dubey.
BJP government has turned Uttar Pradesh into 'apradh pradesh'. Criminals like Vikas Dubey are prospering & being shielded by people in power. Congress demands a probe by a sitting Supreme Court judge in the entire Kanpur episode: Congress General Secretary Priyanka Gandhi
Vikas Dubey’s post-mortem will be conducted by a panel of doctors, said Ganesh Shankar Vidhyarthi Medical College principal Dr RB Kamal.
3 sub-inspector, 1 constable and 2 STF commandos were injured during the incident. In this case, so far, 3 people have been arrested, 6 accused killed, 7 people sent to jail (under section 120B IPC), and12 wanted criminals are still absconding, Prashant Kumar, UP ADG-Law & Order said.
Bollywood actress Taapsee Pannu has also reacted on Vikas Dubey's encounter. The actress wrote on Twitter, "Wow! We did not expect this at all !!!! And then they say our Bollywood stories are far from reality."
- IG Kanpur Mohit Agarwal has termed the encounter of dreaded criminal Vikas Dubey a "brave act".
- Vikas Dubey has been killed in an encounter after UP Special Task Force (STF) car carrying the gangster overturned while it was on way to Kanpur from Madhya Pradesh's Ujjain where he was arrested today.
#WATCH One of the vehicles of the convoy of Uttar Pradesh Special Task Force that was bringing back #VikasDubey from Madhya Pradesh to Kanpur overturned today morning. Following the accident, Dubey was killed in police encounter when he tried to flee. pic.twitter.com/AaZnDvmHHk— ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) July 10, 2020
- Doctors have confirmed it to the UP Police that Vikas Dubey is dead.
Body of gangster Vikas Dubey who was killed in police encounter today, at LLR Hospital in Kanpur. pic.twitter.com/82X50eFiaJ— ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) July 10, 2020
- After UP STF's car carrying Vikas Dubey overturned, the criminal tried to snatch weapons from police personnel and attempted to escape when he was killed in the encounter. Soon after that, Dubey was rushed to a nearby hospital.
- Vikas Dubey tried to escape right after the STF car met with an accident in Kanpur. Locals have claimed that gunshots were also heard.
- Four police personnel have also been injured in the encounter. All have been shifted to CST hospital in Kalyanpur.
- Visuals: Below tweet shows one of the vehicles of the convoy of Uttar Pradesh STF that was bringing back Vikas Dubey from Madhya Pradesh to Kanpur which overturned earlier today.
One of the vehicles of the convoy of Uttar Pradesh Special Task Force (STF) that was bringing back #VikasDubey from Madhya Pradesh to Kanpur overturns. Police at the spot. More details awaited. pic.twitter.com/7OTruZ2R7h— ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) July 10, 2020
VIDEO: Earlier today, Uttar Pradesh Special Task Force (STF) team along with Vikas Dubey on way to Kanpur.
Vikas Dubey was arrested in Madhya Pradesh's Ujjain on Thursday
- Vikas Dubey was arrested from the Mahakal temple in Madhya Pradesh's Ujjain on Thursday (yesterday), and was being brought to Kanpur amid unprecedented security today morning.
- The gangster was a prime accused in the Kanpur encounter case in which 8 police personnel were killed in an ambush by Vikas Dubey and gang when cops went to arrest the criminal on July 3 midnight.
- Vikas Dubey was one of the most wanted criminal after Kanpur encounter case. Since the past week, UP Police had arrested a number of close aides of the dreaded gangster while some were also killed in encounters including aide Amar Dubey.