Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday paid homage to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose on his 125th birth anniversary in Kolkata, West Bengal. The Centre has decided that every year, Netaji's birth anniversary will be celebrated as Parakram Diwas across the country, in order to honour the freedom fighter. Spending a day in Kolkata and participating in Parakram Diwas celebrations, PM Modi visited Netaji's Bhawan, his ancestral home, National Library and addressed a gathering at Victoria Memorial Hall. Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who was invited to the event, was also present at the memorial. Addressing the gathering, PM Modi said that Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose would have been proud to see that the country has become strong and is following his footsteps from the LoC to the LAC.
PM Modi in Kolkata on Netaji's 125 birth anniversary | Key Points
- Speaking at Victoria Memorial in Kolkata, PM Modi said that Netaji is the biggest source of inspiration for the dream of 'Atmanirbhar Bharat' (Self-reliant India) and 'Sonar Bangla' (Golden Bengal).
- Netaji would have been proud that the government he dreamt of is fighting a pandemic with vaccines developed by it, and gave a befitting reply whenever its sovereignty was challenged.
- "I sometimes wonder how Netaji would have felt had he seen how a new and strong India is taking shape," he said at a programme at Victoria Memorial Hall.
- "From the LAC to LoC, the world is witnessing a strong India that was once envisioned by Netaji. India today is giving a befitting reply wherever attempts are made to challenge its sovereignty," he said.
- Referring to the question that Netaji had asked his nephew Sisir Bose before his daring escape from house arrest, Modi said, "If today Indians place their hands on their hearts and feel Netaji's presence, they will hear the same question: Will you do something for me? This task is to make India self-reliant."
- Noting that Netaji had identified poverty, illiteracy and diseases among the biggest problems of the country, he said the society will have to come together to solve these problems. He said Atmanirbhar Bharat has to be led by Atmanirbhar Bengal and Sonar Bangla.
- "Bengal needs to play an important role in the quest for Aatmnirbhar Bharat, just like the role that Netaji played in the freedom of the country. Aatmnirbhar Bharat has to be led by Aatamnirbhar Bengal and Sonar Bangla," he said.
- Hailing Netaji as the embodiment of India's power and inspiration, Modi said that the country has decided to celebrate the freedom fighter's birth anniversary as 'Parakram Diwas' to honour his indomitable spirit and selfless service to the nation.
- Union Culture Minister Prahlad Singh Patel said that Netaji 'Dilli Chalo' (March to Delhi) call had united the nation against the British Rule. He said the freedom fighter's life was marked by the spirit of search and quest. It is my good fortune that in 2018 we named the island of Andaman as Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Island.
- The country has decided that from now we will celebrate Netaji's birth anniversary (January 23) as 'Parakram Divas', said PM Modi in Kolkata.
- Netaji's life, work, and decisions are an inspiration for all of us. Nothing was impossible for a person with such steely resolve, PM Modi said while addressing the event at Victoria Memorial.
- However, at the event, before PM Modi's address, Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who was invited to address the gathering, had got angry after 'Jai Shri Ram' slogans were raised.
- I think the government's program should have dignity. This is not a political program... It doesn't suit you to insult someone after inviting them. As a protest, I won't speak anything, Mamata Banerjee said after 'Jai Shree Ram' slogans were raised when she was invited to speak. | READ MORE
- Watch | Children and band perform in presence of PM Narendra Modi at Victoria Memorial.
- PM Narendra Modi greets people at Victoria Memorial in Kolkata.
- Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee present at Victoria Memorial along with PM Modi, Bengal Governor Jagdeep Dhankhar, to honour Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.
- PM Narendra Modi at National Library in Kolkata.
- PM Modi pays tribute to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose at Netaji Bhavan in Kolkata. The Prime Minister is in West Bengal to celebrate 125th birth anniversary of Netaji as Parakram Divas.
(With inputs from PTI, IANS)