Nupur Sharma remarks on Prophet: The Supreme Court on Friday castigated suspended BJP leader Nupur Sharma for her "disturbing" remark against Prophet Mohammad, saying it has led to unfortunate incidents in the country. Here are the top five quotes by the apex courts taking the BJP leader to task:
- "She faces threats or she has become security threat? This lady is single-handedly responsible for what is happening in the country," Justice Surya Kant said after Ms Sharma's lawyer said she has been getting threats, and it wouldn't be safe for her to travel now.
- "We saw the debate on how she was incited. But they way she said all this and later says she was a lawyer. It is shameful. She should apologise to the whole country," he said.
- She and her loose tongue has set the entire country on fire. Her outburst is responsible for unfortuante incident at Udaipur.
- "What has Delhi police done ? Don't make us open our mouth, what was the TV debate about? Only to fan an agenda? Why did they choose a sub-judice topic?"
- On her character, the court said he remarks "show her obstinate and arrogant character". "What if she is the spokesperson of a party. She thinks she has back up of power and can make any statement without respect to the law of the land," Justice Surya Kant said.
The suspended BJP leader has failed to appear before Mumbai Police, Kolkata Police to record her statement in the case registered against her for making allegedly objectionable remarks against Prophet Mohammad during a television channel discussion. Nupur Sharma's comments on Prophet, made during a TV debate, have sparked violent protests across states and have also resulted in the unfortunate beheading incident in Udaipur.