The front coach of the 12312 Kalka Howrah Express caught fire between Dhirpur to Dhoda Khedi Railway Station, near Kurukshetra on Tuesday morning. According to an official statement by the Indian Railways, all passengers were evacuated safely, and no casualties were reported.
"Smoke filled the SLR bogie (Seating cum Luggage Rake), which is next to the engine. The train was brought to a halt and all the passengers were safely evacuated when smoke was noticed," the official said.
"The bogie caught fire later and fire tenders were called. Three women and two children, who complained of difficulty in breathing as they had inhaled smoke, were provided medical attention," he added.
As per preliminary details, an electrical short circuit was believed to be the reason behind the fire, he said, adding that forensic experts had been called to ascertain the exact cause.
The train which had started from Kalka in Haryana in the early morning was headed to Howrah.
After the incident, the train was held up for more than two hours before the affected bogie was detached and placed about 50 to 60 metres away. Rail traffic on the route was also affected, he said.
#Visuals from Haryana: Fire had broken out in the front coach of Kalka Howrah Express b/w Dhirpur to Dhoda Khedi Railway Station, near Kurukshetra earlier this morning. No casualties reported. 2 passengers, facing breathing difficulties, shifted to hospital. Train movement normal pic.twitter.com/rujacZG6fU— ANI (@ANI) November 27, 2018