Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the first phase of Delhi-Meerut Expressway on Sunday, which will ease traffic congestion in the national capital. It is a part of Eastern Peripheral Expressway, which is the country’s first 14-laned expressway.
The Delhi section of Delhi-Meerut Expressway has been completed in a record time of 17 months. The expressway will not just ease traffic congestion in the national capital but will also cut the travel time between Delhi and Meerut to 40 minutes.
Earlier in December, 2015, PM Modi had laid the foundation stone for the Delhi-Meerut expressway project, which included the construction of 74 Km long Delhi-Dasna-Meerut 14 lane Expressway and upgradation of 22 Km long Dasna-Hapur section of NH-24 in three phases.
Delhi-Meerut Expressway: Here is all you need to know
1) The Delhi-Meerut Expressway is built at a cost of over Rs. 7,500 crore.
2) Once the expressway is fully completed, the travel time between Delhi and Meerut would be cut to 40 minutes.
3) The 9-km stretch till UP Gate has been completed and will be inaugurated by PM Modi on May 27. This stretch will also help reduce congestion on the roads leading to Noida and Ghaziabad.
4) The Delhi-Meerut Expressway will be India's first 14-lane highway, described by Prime Minister Narendra Modi as "road to freedom from pollution".
5) The project is being built in four segments -- Nizamuddin Bridge to UP Border, UP Border to Dasna, Dasna to Hapur and Hapur to Meerut.
6) The fourth segment will be a new alignment of Delhi-Meerut Expressway from Dasna to Meerut and six laning of connector.
7) The Delhi-Meerut Expressway will do away with as many as 31 traffic signals on the Delhi-Meerut road, the busiest highway in the region, and make it "signal free".
8) The 9km stretch starting from Sarai Kale Khan in Delhi, would be connected to NH 24 and then will lead to NH 58. The Expressway would be an access controlled highway.
9) The work on Delhi-Dasna section is expected to cost approximately 2,869 crore, while the construction of 46 km long six-lane Dasna-Meerut section of the expressway will cost around Rs. 3,575 crore.
10) Besides, six-laning of 22 km long Dasna-Hapur section of NH 24 will cost Rs. 1,122 crore.