1. You Are At:
  2. Home
  3. India News
  4. Delhi’s iconic Regal cinema to down its shutters from March 31, to turn into a multiplex

Delhi’s iconic Regal cinema to down its shutters from March 31, to turn into a multiplex

The iconic Regal cinema, situated in the heart of the city, has decided to shut its door from March 31 as the owners were unable to obtain a structural security certificate.

India TV News Desk, New Delhi [ Published on: March 24, 2017 13:20 IST ]
Regal cinema to down its shutters from March 31, to turn
Regal cinema to down its shutters from March 31, to turn into a multiplex

The iconic Regal cinema, situated in the heart of the city, has decided to shut its door from March 31 as the owners were unable to obtain a structural security certificate.

The news of the closing of the cinema hall was announced by the owners through a notice put outside the theatre.

"It has been decided by the management to close down the business from the premises wef 31.3. 2017," the notice read.

Anushka Sharma's ‘Phillauri’ will be the last film to be screened in the 84-year-old theatre, situated in the heart of the city.

The owners were already planning to close the theatre and re-open it after converting it into a multiplex, but the sudden decision comes after the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) issued a notice to all the buildings in Connaught Place (CP), demanding structural security certificate.

"We were planning to shut the theatre and convert it into a multiplex. But we decided to close it by the end of this month after NDMC issued a notice to all the buildings in CP demanding structural safety certificate," manager of Regal, Roop Ghai said.

NDMC had issued a notice after the roof of two buildings in the area collapsed last month.

"Regal building is 84-year-old and the inspection to get the certificate will take time. We are not in a position to carry out business activity as we don't want any mishap to happen in our building. We don't want to take any risk. 'Phillauri' will be the last movie that we screen," Ghai added.

The manager said that they are still working towards converting the theatre into a multiplex, but cannot start the renovation unless they get the permission from the NDMC.

"The theatre will be converted into a multiplex but right now we are just closing it due to safety reasons. It is not finalised yet which multiplex chain will take over Regal, but we are already done with 60 per cent of the permission. Renovation will not start without the permission from NDMC," the manager said.

According to a senior NDMC official, they did issue a notice to all the buildings in CP to submit a structural stability certificate.

"We had issued a notice to the buildings owners to submit a structural stability and safety certificate following the roof collapses in Connaught Place. Failing to do so they may have decided to close down," the official said.

He, however, clarified that there was no instruction from the civic body to close the building.

Write a comment

Live Scorecard