At least 19 people were killed and several others injured in a fire that broke out in Sarthana area of Gujarat's Surat on Friday. The fire incident happened at Takshila-complex in Sarthana where a coaching class was going on.
Thrown in chaos, several students attempted a dramatic self-rescue and jumped off the third and fourth floors of the building. As many as 19 fire tenders and two hydraulic platforms were pressed into service to douse the fire. Locals were seen helping in the rescue operation to save stranded students as well as other occupants of the four-storey building.
- Surat building fire latest updates: As per latest updates, as many as 19 children have died so far in the fire incident. Some of them fell to death and others suffocated. Many others suffered injuries.
- Surat building fire latest updates: Akhilesh Yadav expresses anguish, here is what he said: "It is heartbreaking to see the images coming from Gujarat and read the tragic news about the children who have lost their lives at such a young age. My thoughts and prayers are with all those families affected by the fire and with the people of Surat."
- Surat building fire latest updates: Congress president Rahul Gandhi expresses his condolences to the families of the students killed in the fire incident, and says he prays for the early recovery of those injured.
सुरत, गुजरात में हुये इस हादसे की ख़बर से बहुत दुःख पहुंचा है।
पीड़ित परिवारों के प्रति, मैं गहरी शोक और संवेदना व्यक्त करता हूँ।
घायलों के जल्द से जल्द स्वस्थ होने की कामना करता हूँ। https://t.co/RWnH8dJTdP— Rahul Gandhi (@RahulGandhi) May 24, 2019
- Surat building fire latest updates: According to latest inputs trickling in, the coaching class had 50 students present during the time of incident.
- Surat building fire latest updates: Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani orders an investigation into the incident. Rupani also declared financial help of Rs 4 lakh each to the families of children who died in this incident.
- Surat building fire latest updates: Prime Minister Narendra Modi expresses anguish on the fire tragedy and directed the Gujarat government to provide all possible assistance to those affected.
Extremely anguished by the fire tragedy in Surat. My thoughts are with bereaved families. May the injured recover quickly. Have asked the Gujarat Government and local authorities to provide all possible assistance to those affected.— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) May 24, 2019