CJI JS Khehar's suggestion that all parties in the decades-old Ayodhya dispute should settle the matter through talks evoked mixed response from different quarters.
While Muslim leaders termed the suggestion as ‘superfluous’ and ‘unwise’, other parties involved in the matter welcomed the move saying ‘they are ready for talks’ if suitable atmosphere is put in place.
Iqbal Ansari, son of Hashim Ansari, the oldest litigant in the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid case, said that they are ready for out-of-court settlement to find a solution only if Prime Minister Narendra Modi comes forward and intervene into the matter effectively.
“If PM Modi interferes, then only we are ready for talks. We trust Modi, he is our Prime Minister. If Modi is at the centre of the talks, no one will disagree from holding dialogues. We have a solution to the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid dispute, the whole plan is prepared. If PM Modi listens us, the things will surely fall in line,” Ali, whose father passed way last year, told India TV.
The All India Babri Masjid Action Committee was among the others who had initially expressed its reservation on the SC’s suggestion to settle the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid dispute amicably. But, Haji Mehboob Ali, a member of the committee, has dropped ample hints that they are ready to sit down across a table.
However, Ali maintained that there is a state of confusion over holding talks as there are several parties who have been claiming their representation in the case.
“With whom the talks be held? There are lot many parties who have been claiming their representation,” Ali told India TV.
The Supreme Court had on Tuesday favoured an amicable settlement to the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid dispute in Ayodhya and offered to act as mediator, which was welcomed by the BJP but ruled out by the Babri Masjid Action Committee and others.
The court had made this observation while hearing BJP leader Subramanian Swamy's plea for constituting a bench to hear a batch of petitions challenging a 2010 Allahabad High Court order on the matter. The 2010 order said that there should be partition of the disputed land in Ayodhya between parties to the dispute.