1. You Are At:
  2. English News
  3. India
  4. Assam NRC: Over 35.5 lakh out of 40 lakh yet to apply for inclusion in final list

Assam NRC: Over 35.5 lakh out of 40 lakh yet to apply for inclusion in final list

The process of filing claims and objections to the draft NRC commenced on September 25 following a directive from the Supreme Court. The process will come to an end on December 15. 

India TV News Desk Edited by: India TV News Desk New Delhi Published on: November 18, 2018 17:01 IST
Assam NRC
Image Source : PTI

Over 35.5 lakh out of 40 lakh yet to apply for including names in Assam NRC

Out of the total 40 lakh, more than 35.5 lakh people, who were excluded in the draft National Register of Citizens (NRC), are yet to come forward to get their names included in the final list of the exercise monitored by the Supreme Court, sources said on Sunday. Besides, the authorities have received less than 200 applications, challenging the inclusion of the names of suspected illegal immigrants in the NRC, two months after a window was opened for claims and objections.

According to a source privy to the development, nearly 4.5 lakh people have submitted applications for inclusion of their names in the NRC so far and have submitted relevant documents claiming that they are Indian citizens.

This means, 35.5 lakh people have not yet come forward to claim that they are Indians, probably they may not have proper documents, the source said.

The process of filing claims and objections to the draft NRC commenced on September 25 following a directive from the Supreme Court. The process will come to an end on December 15.

West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had claimed that the NRC exercise was carried out with a "political motive" to divide people and warned that it would lead to "bloodbath" and a "civil war" in the country.

Following exclusion of over 40 lakh people in the draft NRC, Banerjee had also said those "Indian citizens have become refugees in their own land".

Banerjee alleged the NRC was an "attempt to evict the Bengalis from Assam".

A set of standard operating procedure (SOP) for disposal of claims and objections in the updation of the NRC has also been finalised by the Supreme Court.

The draft NRC was published on July 30 and included the names of 2.9 crore people out of the total applications of 3.29 crore.

A huge political controversy was created after more than 40 lakh people were excluded from the draft list published on July 30. The exercise aimed at identifying genuine Indian nationals living in Assam.

It also aimed at identifying illegal immigrants in the state that borders Bangladesh and was carried only in Assam, which faced influx of people from Bangladesh since the early 20th century.

Latest India News

Read all the Breaking News Live on indiatvnews.com and Get Latest English News & Updates from India