After repeated attempts to bring perpetrators of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks to justice, India on Monday once again asked Pakistan to give up "double standards" and accused it of showing "little sincerity" in punishing those involved in the carnage.
The trial of seven LeT members facing charges of planning and executing the ghastly Mumbai terror attacks is still being dragged on in a Pakistani anti-terror court though the Islamabad High Court in 2015 directed that the case should be wrapped up in two months.
The attack mastermind Zaki-ur Rehman Lakhvi, the operations commander of the Lashkar-e-Taiba, has virtually secured his acquittal with the Pakistan government indicating no plan to challenge his bail in the Supreme Court.
The six other suspects have also "bright chances" of acquittal with their trial witnessing bizarre twists and turns like frequent change of judges and murder of a prosecutor.
ALSO READ | Senior India TV journalist Saurav Sharma recounts 60-hour-long horror during Mumbai terror attacks
India on Monday also noted that a former prime minister of Pakistan had earlier this year admitted that the terrorists were sent from Pakistan's soil, a reference to Nawaz Sharif's remarks on the issue.
"We once again call on the Government of Pakistan to give up double standards and to expeditiously bring the perpetrators of the horrific attack to justice," the MEA said.
"This is not just a matter of Pakistan's accountability to the families of the innocent victims who fell to terrorists, but also an international obligation," it said.
India also welcomed the US statement Monday calling on Pakistan to uphold UN Security Council obligations to implement sanctions against the terrorists responsible for the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, including Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT)and its affiliates.
A total of 166 people including 28 foreigners from 14 nations were killed in the terror attack carried out by a group of Pakistani terrorists belonging to LeT.
The case, in which seven Lashkar-e-Taiba members were facing charges of planning and executing the strike, is still being dragged on in a Pakistani anti-terror court. India has been pressing Pakistan to expedite the trial.
"The 26/11 terrorist attack was planned, executed and launched from Pakistan territory. The former prime minister of Pakistan had earlier this year admitted that the terrorists were sent from Pakistan's soil," the MEA said.
In an interview to Pakistani daily Dawn in May, ex-premier Nawaz Sharif had questioned, "Should Pakistan allow militants/non-state actors to cross the border and kill 150 people in Mumbai?...Why can't we complete the trial?"
The MEA said Indian missions organised memorial events in the countries whose nationals were killed in the attack.
"It is a matter of deep anguish that even after 10 years of this heinous terror attack, the families of 166 victims from 15 countries across the globe still await closure," the MEA said.
It said India will continue its efforts to bring justice to the families of the victims and the martyrs.
WATCH FULL VIDEO:
FULL INTERVIEW: Senior India TV journalist Saurav Sharma recounts 60-hour-long horror during Mumbai terror attacks