As eminent composer, AR Rahman described the state of Sikkim as, "the state is not just visually but also culturally beautiful." We couldn't agree more!
The beautiful state of Northeastern India, Sikkim is known for its rich biodiversity and abundant natural resources. For more than two decades now, the environment-friendly policies adopted by the state government gave a boost to the tourism in the state.
Also Read -7 reasons to explore 7 Sisters of India in the month of September
Recently, actor Juhi Chawla took to her Twitter to share a factful video about the state. She wrote, "India's very first organic state Sikkim earlier announced the ban of pesticides to flourish it’s tourism! Results are for the world to see. Brilliant. About time others follow suit?"
The beautiful facts noted in the video are as follows:
1. Indian state banned pesticides; Tourism and wildlife are flourishing. Sikkim has become India's first fully organic state.
2. By 2016, 190,000 acres of cultivable land had been certified organic in Sikkim.
3. The state now produces 800,000 tonnes of organic produce, about 65 per cent of all of India's 1.24 million tonnes.
4. It is the result of continuous effort for more than 10 years of State Government and the people of Sikkim.
5. In 2003, CM Chamling opted to take his state down the organic path.
6. Sikkim State Organic Board was formed on 16 September 2003 for outlining policy issues and strategic plans.
7. In 2004, a policy was made that stopped procuring chemical fertilisers and pesticides. It also eliminated the existing subsidy to farmers for procurement of chemical pesticide.
8. Use of chemical pesticides and fertilisers was made a criminal offense in 2014.
9. Thousands of compositing pits were installed for making organic compost.
10. Study of organic farming as a subject in the school curriculum was introduced. Compulsory training on organic farming and its advantages as part of capacity building was introduced.
Even Mohit Chauhan who is a famous Bollywood playback singer was nominated as Green Ambassador of the state by Sikkim government in May 2018.
For latest lifestyle updates, check out our Facebook page!