1. You Are At:
  2. Home
  3. Lifestyle
  4. Haryana bans liquid nitrogen cocktails nearly a month after a Delhi-man ended with a hole in stomach

Haryana bans liquid nitrogen cocktails nearly a month after a Delhi-man ended with a hole in stomach

On July 4, a Delhi man was nearly killed when he gulped down a liquid nitrogen drink at a bar.

Written by: India TV Lifestyle Desk, New Delhi [ Updated: July 29, 2017 13:30 IST ]
Haryana bans liquid nitrogen in drinks and food

Haryana Food and Drugs Administration Department took a decision to put a ban on the use of liquid nitrogen in food and drinks across the state on Thursday. The ban comes to effect a month after a 30-year-old Delhi man ended up with a gaping hole in stomach on drinking a liquid nitrogen-laced cocktail. The government issued a statement from Chandigarh on Friday stating that for health of people in the state, the Harayana Government has banned the use of liquid nitrogen in food and drinks. 

Also Read: What is liquid nitrogen and how it is lethal


Saket Kumar, Commisioner (Food Safety), Food and Drugs Administration Department, said that the order regarding the ban on liquid nitrogen has been brought to effect under section 34 of Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 (Central Act 34 of 2006). According to medical science, any food or drink which involves liquid nitrogen in its making is harmful for human consumption. The extremely low temperature of liquid nitrogen can be damaging for body tissues causing frostbite and ruptures on coming in contact. 

“If swallowed, the gas can lead to serious internal damage, destroying tissues in the mouth and intestinal area. Also, as it evaporates, liquid nitrogen releases a high volume of gas, which can tear open the stomach if swallowed in adequately large quantities,”, the order stated further. 

The man who gulped  a liquid nitrogen drink went through a surgery at Columbia Asia Hospital in Palam Vihar, Delhi. The man didn’t know that the drink has to be consumed after the smoke has dissipated. He drank it bottoms up immediately. He suffered immense pain in abdomen, swelling and breathlessness. He was rushed to a hospital in Gurgaon where doctors found a huge hole in his stomach. The incident took place on July 3. 

Also Read: Liquid nitrogen drink nearly kills a Delhi-man, creates a hole in stomach. Here’s how you can be careful


Mrintunajay Tiwari, principal consultant, Blue Fish Concept hospitality said, “Staff at restaurants/bars serving nitrogen-based drinks and food had to undergo seven weeks training during which they were told to be very attentive while the drinks are served. The incident was unfortunate.”

Immense precautions have to be taken while consuming such experimental food products. It’s better that you consult the restaurant staff before ordering a peculiar stuff. 


For more Lifestlye news click here


Write a comment