In 2014, the UN declared June 21 as International Yoga Day and on September 27, 2014, while addressing the 69th session of the United Nations General Assembly, Prime Minister Narendra Modi proposed the world community to adopt an International Day for Yoga. In his words, "Yoga is an invaluable gift from our ancient tradition. It embodies unity of mind and body. It is not just an exercise but a holistic approach towards our health and well being". This resolution was endorsed by 175 member states and 21 June was declared as the International Yoga Day. The fifth International Yoga Day is all set to take place tomorrow in full swing and before all the celebrations start off, here's everything that you should know about yoga right from this year's theme to its several benefits.
5th International Yoga Day 2019: Theme
The theme of 5th International Yoga Day 2019 is Climate Action. The theme focuses on the way how yoga can help us to solve the problem of climate change and also it bring lot more benefits into the lives of people. It is necessary to work towards climate change. The sense of respect for mother earth overcomes regular yoga practitioners that will help people to act in a certain way at home and working environment to work and build better future.
How yoga can help in solving climate change
Yoga senses and controls the ambitions and physical matter of life and provides the platform for self-discipline. The climate change is the result of uncontrollable consumerism that promotes indiscipline and no regulation in life. It’s now a well-known fact that none of us can prosper in an environment that is polluted with noxious gases. Climate change is indeed making the temperature rise and the negative impact is felt in agriculture, livelihood, forests, water bodies and the health of people.
When we start practising yoga on a regular basis, a sense of commitment and respect is established within ourselves which then helps us to act in a positive way at home and work building towards a better future. Meanwhile, cooperative individuals can join hands in achieving the target by getting hold of people's attention on larger scales and work with them to build a sustainable means of revival for the environment and survival for the human race.
Top 10 Benefits of Practising Yoga
- Yoga makes your mind more alert.
- It enhances your concentration and memory in your studies and work.
- It reduces your stress and tension and thus makes your mind free and healthy, which ultimately enhances your beauty.
- It improves your blood circulation, which in turn brings better health.
- Yoga improves your muscle tone, flexibility and stamina.
- Yoga and lowers fat and tones up your body. Who does not want to get rid of the extra fat in the body, especially in the stomach? Many are not aware that yoga can get rid of your extra weight slowly and in a healthy way, just by practising it daily.
- Yoga helps you to become more optimistic in your thoughts, which ultimately helps you in taking proper decisions.
- Yoga helps you to achieve complete relaxation of your body, soul and mind, which will lead you to achieve a happy life.
- Yoga helps you remove your laziness and thus can achieve a better quality of life. Not only to your own life, you will be able to contribute more towards your family and to the society.
- Yoga provides overall joy and happiness in your day to day life.